McConnell: Send Iraqis charged in Ky. to Gitmo (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - The top-ranking Republican in the U.S. Senate wants two Iraqis facing terrorism-related charges in Kentucky sent to the prison at Guantanamo Bay rather than allow them to face trial in a civilian court.

Read more...

I saw his speech on Youtube: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3fa9m0NFjY&feature=relmfu"]YouTube - ‪Send Them to Guantanamo‬‏[/ame]

I tend to think he may be right based on 2 PRACTICAL reasons:

1. ensuring that the Guantanamo Bay facility continues to RECEIVE ADEQUATE Funding for its CONTINUED EXISTENCE and further needed Improvements, as an Expert Information/Intelligence obtaining facility and TRAINING facility as well;

2. Sen. Mitch McConnell, (R), seems to make the case that the 2 individuals may be indeed Enemy Combatants and may indeed posess useful INFORMATION yet to be extracted, and by whom is it to be extracted but by the experts already trained at GITMO.

OTOH, the Hon. Senator did not lose the occasion to bash a little on (D) Pres. Barack Obama's alleged "residual softness" on terror (which is not really that accurate, especially not in the last few months as I have observed), but I guess that is allowable by an opponent in a Political forum discussion, so it is not unethical, nor totally unjustified.

Back