----Marines---How Do I request to tryout for recon?

LanceKernal

Sorry to ask this kinda question devildogs, I can only guess you get a thousand highschool kids every day asking annoying questions about recon.

Anyways, I've been interested in trying out for recon ever since I learned that they allow guys in my MOS,(0621 Field Radio Operator), to try out from a recon guy I spoke with breifly while on a train. I think I got the stuff for it, I run a 281 pft and I stand out from the other guys during PT. I'm a reservist so I have to PT myself, but I do just fine like that. I'm pretty good in the water since I've been a surfer since I was 10.

I'd really like to give the indoc a shot, I just don't know who to request this from, and I hate going to my command or career jammer for anything, so I'm hoping somebody here might know or have heard something about that.

Standby for a response from someone more qualified than myself.

But I am sure you chain of command will be involved, like it or not.

Your PFT should be good. You will need a documented 1st class Swim qual high pro's and con's, and the required ASVAB score. As a reservist you'll need to find a unit near enough to you that it is in your radius. You'll be looking for 4th Recon units.

At some point you will have to get your command involved in order to INDOC. The request will have to go thru 4th Force and your command will have to authorize your INDOC. Recon generally wants letters of recommendation from at least your CO and 1st Sgt, before INDOC.

Best way to go is find a unit. Check to see if/when they INDOC and then start your paperwork and make the necessary notifications.

Dang, that's brutal, I'm gonna start looken for some units around me, hopefully theyll let me try out with only a 2nd class, because thats as far as they let anyone who wasn't contract recon go in boot camp, and I dont think my unit even considers having us swim qual on drill weekends, so I doubt I'll get a chance to go for swim qual 1 there. Maybe since my PFT is alright and my asvab scores are high theyll cut me a shot at it...

Thanks for the info on this 03. Semper Fi

Last edited:
Since your a reservist you could move and transfer to a Recon unit. 4th Force had a unit in Alameda at one time it's probably still there. Once your in the unit you'll do your INDOC as a matter of business. If your close enough to a unit then you can request transfer to that unit also.

Recon is gonna want a 1st Class Swim Qual. Can't go Combat Diver or Scout Swimmer without it. If you transfer into a Recon unit they will get you pool time to up your qual. If you don't you'll end up passing out canteens at supply.

Theres also 3rd ANGLICO in California. But I don't know if they picked up the Jump status and school seats as of yet.

Last edited:
I looked up 3rd ANGLICO and ironically, they are actually in my city, like 5 miles away from me, and here I thought that reserve center was only for the navy and coasties. I had no clue there were even marines there. Thanks for the help on this man I really appreciate it. Now I just gotta hope my unit will let me out.

ANGLICO is most likely going to have openings in your MOS, and might have a higher priority to fill vacancies. You might wanna shoot the I&I there a call and see.

If they do put in your AA form and depending on the status of ANGLICO's vacancies and deployment schedules you should have a pretty good shot.

Good luck.

Back