Machine Gun Slide Return Springs

Missileer

I don't know if anyone ever thought much about this subject but I thought it sounded interesting. About five years ago, I worked with a gun designer who was building a low recoil 20 mm machine gun. The prototype had the same recoil as a .50 cal. machine gun and had a rate of fire of 5 rounds/sec. Being an electronics type, I usually couldn't understand most of what he was talking about when he explained the mechanics of the thing.

One thing I couldn't comprehend was the design of the springs that he used to return the slide and close the bolt after a round was fired. First, the spring wire was a pair of wires twisted tightly and then formed into a coil spring and tempered. Supposedly, the Germans used this method first during WWII, because the springs lasted longer before failure or replacement. Also the springs had a heavier load capacity so they did not have to be made from large diameter wire.

Maybe 5.56 can shed some light on the design and is it still in use today?

Missileer said:
I don't know if anyone ever thought much about this subject but I thought it sounded interesting. About five years ago, I worked with a gun designer who was building a low recoil 20 mm machine gun. The prototype had the same recoil as a .50 cal. machine gun and had a rate of fire of 5 rounds/sec. Being an electronics type, I usually couldn't understand most of what he was talking about when he explained the mechanics of the thing.

One thing I couldn't comprehend was the design of the springs that he used to return the slide and close the bolt after a round was fired. First, the spring wire was a pair of wires twisted tightly and then formed into a coil spring and tempered. Supposedly, the Germans used this method first during WWII, because the springs lasted longer before failure or replacement. Also the springs had a heavier load capacity so they did not have to be made from large diameter wire.

Maybe 5.56 can shed some light on the design and is it still in use today?

I remember hearing somthing about this on the MG42.

Back