Kahne's event raises $144k; Stewart ok after wreck

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
#9-Kasey Kahne's year-old charity, the Kasey Kahne Foundation, which raises money to aid disadvantaged and critically ill children, raised $144,000 from Race night at Skagit Speedway [WA]. Fans clamored to see him and fellow NASCAR driver Tony Stewart take part in the sold-out event. They came early and stayed late. They proffered everything from hats and glossies to model cars and T-shirts for autographs. Some just wanted to be near him, as evidenced by the squealing teenage girl who got close enough to take a picture on her cell phone before running off with a hugest of grins. It even took a little sting out of what could have been a bad break. Stewart, the defending Nextel Cup champion and currently eighth in the standings, flipped his car going around the third turn on the first lap of his qualifying heat. His car, which was later auctioned off, was badly damaged and Stewart appeared to have suffered a minor concussion. He was deemed fine enough to skip a hospital visit. Stewart returned later in street clothes, joking around in the pits with Kahne. Even the crash couldn't dampen the night's good vibes. "I love dirt track racing," Stewart told the crowd. "I was looking forward more to racing Kasey and being here than racing in (Sunday's Nextel Cup race at) Fontana (Calif.) this weekend. I love this kid like a little brother and I'm glad I could be here."(Seattle Post-Intelligencer)

Back