Info for US Vet this applies to all branches


Active member
Korea vets recognized with medal

3/8/2004 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- A new defense medal will be issued to servicemembers who served in South Korea, or adjacent waters, after July 28, 1954. This includes those serving there today, and those serving up to a not-yet-determined future date.

The Korea Defense Service Medal will be awarded to those assigned, attached or mobilized to units operating or serving on all the land area of South Korea, and the continuous waters to 12 nautical miles from shore and all airspace above those areas. Recipients may include active duty, Reserve, Guard, veterans and retirees. This medal is not to be confused with the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.

Individuals will only be awarded one KDSM regardless of amount of time spent in Korea, said Air Force Personnel Center officials here. The medal does not have any associated promotion points under the Weighted Airman Promotion System. It is directly above the Armed Forces Service Medal in precedence.

Procedure for receiving the KDSM varies.

The medal will be issued to Air Force active-duty, Reserve and Guard people by their servicing military personnel flights beginning in the fall. Questions should be addressed to the contact center at DSN 665-5000 or (800) 616-3775.

Veterans, retirees or their next of kin may claim entitlement by writing to: National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Requests should include documents clearly proving service and dates in Korea such as orders, performance reports, DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, flight records, a decoration citation or other official documents. Veterans and retirees should address questions to the NPRC customer-service center at (314) 801-0800.

Air Force Reserve and Guard veterans, retirees and next of kin may submit their request with supporting documentation to: Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, 6760 Irvington Place 4000, Denver, CO 80280-4000. Reserve and Guard veterans and retirees younger than 60 should address questions to ARPC headquarters at (303) 679-6134.

Reserve and Guard veterans and retirees older than 60 and next-of-kin of deceased Reserve and Guard veterans and retirees must send requests to the NPRC with supporting documentation. Questions should be addressed to the NPRC customer-service center at (314) 801-0800. (Courtesy of AFPC News Service)