Hi I'm new here - wondering about loud guns

2910Troy

Hi guys can you tell me what would be the loudest civilian centrefire rifle able to be used on civilian ranges in Australia up to .50cal 12.7mm our local range allows this but I want something that really has some kick and is the loudest - any ideas? whats gunner be louder than a .308? I want to buy something like a magnum rifle maybe a Ruger or Winchester - but want it have more bang for my buck!....up to .50 cal? cannot be a .338 lapua or .50 bmg..as they are restricted - so what else - something maybe for hunting down the track too - big bore and loud!. sounds good!!?

Hi guys can you tell me what would be the loudest civilian centrefire rifle able to be used on civilian ranges in Australia up to .50cal 12.7mm our local range allows this but I want something that really has some kick and is the loudest - any ideas? whats gunner be louder than a .308? I want to buy something like a magnum rifle maybe a Ruger or Winchester - but want it have more bang for my buck!....up to .50 cal? cannot be a .338 lapua or .50 bmg..as they are restricted - so what else - something maybe for hunting down the track too - big bore and loud!. sounds good!!?
"Loudness" of a weapon being fired, is a perceived variable, dependant on many things. Pitch, (frequency), pressure, attack rate, duration, distance and probably a dozen other variables such as temperature , humidity and/or whatever.

The question begs asking,... why in hell's name would the "loudness" of a weapon have any bearing on your purchase? I can understand people wanting weapons to be as quiet as possible, but as noisy as possible,... Naaahhh, that's just plain stupid, unless of course you just want to deafen your quarry (and yourself).

Other than that, all you'll probably do is end up with a piece of garbage that you, and no one else will ever want to fire.

Last edited:
Other than that, all you'll probably do is end up with a piece of garbage that you, and no one else will ever want to fire.

Just to back this up, of all the weapons I have ever fired the Mosin Nagant M/91 Carbine wins the loudest prize not sure what it is about that thing but damn is it loud.

It is one weapon that has been relegated to "show piece only" status within the span of 10 rounds.

Outside that Welcome to the forums.

The answer is simple, you don't need any heavy magnum calibre to achieve the big BANG you're asking for.

You just buy a cheap .308 (.303, .30-06 etc.) and cut down the barrel to 40 cm. and fire the cheapest ammo you can get your hands on.
That way you can assure yourself that some of the powder will burn outside the muzzle, and you get a really impressive BANG.

And you will be kicked out of the shooting range after a few rounds.

Back