Flying with a firearm

AZ_Infantry

All,

I am flying from AZ to FL next week and will be going armed (when am I NOT armed). I could use some practical been there done that advice - the last time I flew was to PA and I went unarmed like an idiot (though I did have a piece there).

My understanding is that the pistol has to have the slide disassembled from the frame in a locked case. That locked case must then be in a locked check-in and declared at the desk, obviously. So that's two locks, two keys.

But what about mags? I need my mag and two spares, plus my IWB holster and spare mag carrier. Can those go in the Kimber case, in the same bag, or do I need to carry another carry-on just for the mags and provide another two locks?

Also, do I need to completely field strip the pistol, or can I leave the slide intact and just separate it from the frame and leave the take down pin in the Kimber case?

How much longer does it take to check in with a piece in your carry-on stuff? I am flying Delta there and back, if that makes any difference.

Any experiences, links, advice, etc would be appreciated very much!

(And I give a damn about reciprocity with AZ and FL. I'm not going anywhere once there, so I won't be taking in the sights armed or anything. Just visiting a friend).

What the Major said. All the different airlines have different procedures for shipping a firearm. Some more customer friendly than others. Standard is locked hard case and ammo in seperate locked hard case. Don't relay on the TSA standards and policies. The Airlines all have their own and some can get pretty petty.

Wanted to tell every THANKS!

It was cake. I put her in her original Kimber case with the spare mags, double locked that, and then locked the check-in bag she was in with another lock keyed differently. Went to check in, told them I had an unloaded firearm to declare. The lady said she needs to see it, so I showed her, signed a red tag, and away to bag check in I went - where I once again showed them it was unloaded and I had the red tag in the case and sole possession of the keys.

No biggie at all! I just got ammo here in Florida, just because I wanted to keep it as easy as possible.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Back