Clement upsets Murray Sportal

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Clement upsets Murray
space.gif

space.gif
Frenchman Arnaud Clement has prevailed in his first US final, upsetting British teenager Andy Murray 7-6 (7-3) 6-2 to win the Legg Mason Classic.

Clement continually frustrated the Scot throughout the contest, extending rallies and drawing unforced errors from Murray.

Murray looked better early, breaking Clement and setting up a 3-1 lead, before he double-faulted and missed a forehand to allow the 11th seed back into the contest.

Neither player could hold serve for the remainder of the set, and at 3-3 in the tiebreaker, Clement rattled off four straight points, including a perfect forehand passing shot, to take the set.

Murray was clearly rattled, and Clement wasted no time setting up a 4-0 lead in the second, at one stage winning 14 points out of 16.

Murray had two chances to break back at 5-2 but Clement saved them both before setting up match point with an ace, and closing out the match.

"For sure, it's one of my best weeks ever," Clement, who didn't drop a set all week, told AP, "I played the best match today in the final, so it was a perfect week for me."

"I was very nervous to finish the match - and to start the match also. But it was a fantastic feeling on the court."

The victory was Clement's fourth career title but his first outside his native France.

Back