Chertoff - Hezbollah potentially more a threat than Al Qaeda

Partisan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090616/pl_afp/usattackshezbollah

I read this and was interested in Chertoff's comments. If they are better armed, trained and politically situated, then why haven't they tried already - does Hezbollah realise that it could be worse than a bad hair day?

It also set me thinking, the GWOT is ongoing, but where are the future threats? This is obviously presupposing that Al Qaeda are a spent force, which I would dispute. Also where do the Taleban figure in this equation - I haven't read the book so I can't say. For me I think that he's trying to raise the profile of his book and himself by prophesying the next bad thing, but I think that the idea merits discussion - if anyone else has an opinion on this.

Also how would you rank the terrorist groups as a realistic threat to your country?

They could be a threat if they manage to beat Israel and find themselves in need to find a new group of people to fight.

I'd agree with that, their main support strut is the destruction of Israel, but I can't see them fading into the background, if they ever managed to achieve this goal - which I doubt. But what if they decided to franchise, like Al Qaeda? Here's our model go do some damage with it?

Back