Calling all new yorkers

Irishone

Heading to ny this summer on my J1 to work. Where's good to live? Looking at prices now and there unreal hoping not all as bad. Also what pubs are good? Looking for bar work or waitressing...want some nice tips. Any recommendations?

If you can afford it, don't move directly into the city, check out Yonkers. If you have to, I'd recommend the N. Bronx, a lot of Irish there and it is easy enough to escape the city if you need to.

Check out Riverdale, Pelham Parkway, Fordham University area and Italian Belmont. The rent is a lot cheaper in the Bronx and it is safe.

You might want to try and find a roommate. Try doing some networking and you might be able to find another Irish immigrant. Always make sure you request a background check on the individual and interview them to make sure they'll fit with your personality. As with everything, get a contract (legal and binding) for any roommates so they can't stiff you rent and utilities.

I'm not too up on the bar scene anymore, it changes yearly. Rory Dolans is a good place, lots of Irish, cops and firefighters (it is in Yonkers).

How come you're moving to NYC? That's a very expensive place to start off. Have you thought about other cities? I know NYC has a lure, but it can be a very hard and cold life for someone just starting out and if you have the option to go elsewhere, it would be cheaper, safer and easier than jumping head first into the larger cities.

PJ24 said:
Check out Riverdale, Pelham Parkway, Fordham University area and Italian Belmont. The rent is a lot cheaper in the Bronx and it is safe.
Unfortunately, those are about the only safe areas in the Bronx. Just stay out of the South Bronx.

Check out http://newyork.craigslist.org/ -- there are lots of apartment listings there, as well as job openings.

tomtom22 said:
Have you thought of Boston or Cape Cod? Lots of Irish in both places.

I'm from Boston, and it, like NYC, is not a great place for a new immigrant to move on their own. Very expensive and if you don't know the area, you can end up in a nice looking, but very dangerous neighborhood.

A lot of Irish have been immigrating to the southern states over the years, New Orleans was (pre-Katrina) full of 1st Gen guys. NC, SC, GA are all seeing an increase.

AJChenMPH said:
Unfortunately, those are about the only safe areas in the Bronx. Just stay out of the South Bronx.

S. Bx isn't as bad as it used to be, but you have to know the area well to pick a spot to live. Best to just stay in the N. and NW area of the Bx.

I'd still recommend looking at smaller cities to start with, you can always move to places like NYC, Boston, Philly, etc later on.

Thats good information thanks to ye all. I'm only going be in ny for 8 weeks. Going to travel around the west coast then for a month then I'm back to university again.
I've 2 mates, both boys working in building ,living in bronx but I dont really fancy it its quite a distance from east village (where another of my mates is living but shes married with kids) so ive been told.
Boston is great I'd say im going there next summer on my internship, hopefully there or seattle, which is why im not going this summer.
I'm not moving to ny for good have to finish my degree yet but wouldnt mind it. Been to san fran last summer and loved it so I should be fine. I'll check out yonkers thanks for information PJ24

Back