Brazil's Embraer Sells Ecuador 24 Super Tucanos

rock45

Brazil's Embraer Sells Ecuador 24 Super Tucanos

By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 23 Mar 18:30 EDT (22:30 GMT)

SAO PAULO - Embraer has sold 24 Super Tucano turbo-prop aircraft to the Ecuadoran air force to patrol its border and train pilots, the Brazilian aeronautics giant said Monday.
The company did not disclose the value of the sale. Deliveries of the aircraft were to begin at the end of the year, it said.

With the latest deal, Embraer has sold 169 Super Tucanos in the international market. The model is an upgraded version of the Tucano, of which 650 currently are in service in 15 air forces around the world, the company said.
Embraer orders totaled 20.7 billion dollars in the first half of 2008. It is the third largest manufacturer of commercial aircraft in the world after Airbus and Boeing.

Link
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4002820&c=AIR&s=TOP

Small race

I know buying some prop job trainer/COIN aircraft isn't going to start a arms race between Peru and Ecuador in theory. I wonder if Peru will counter with some purchase of their own?

A South American rundown

There is a tank deal in the works Chile going to sell or give Ecuador 30 Leo I's tanks from their stocks.
Aging Leopards Prowl The Andes
by James Dunnigan
February 10, 2009

Last year Chile received 136 second hand Leopard II tanks from Germany. Most (93) of them were used to form three tank battalions. Chile already has six battalions of older Leopard I tanks, and one battalion (30) of these are being sold to Ecuador. Price was not disclosed, but is believed to be about half a million dollars per tank.

Link
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/Aging-Leopards-Prowl-The-Andes-2-10-2009.asp

I always wonder how Colombia would act if Venezuela started funding arms purchases for Ecuador? I still think China going to land a big arm sale in South America.

Thoughts?

Other news I found Colombia's government/ Army having FARC problems
FARC restrict traffic in south Colombia

http://colombiareports.com/colombian-news/news/3320-farc-restrict-traffic-in-south-colombia.html

We sure that Hugo isn't funding this purchase?

As far as FARC. My thought is that they may be doing this at Chavez's request. He and Correa may be goading FARC and trying to get Colombia to "violate" Ecuador again as an excuse.

You maybe right about Chavez and the FARC wouldn't put it past him.

Looking at that map I always thought the FARC were on Peru's border as well and controlled the southern drug routes in southern Colombia as well?

It's just odd to me that the section of Ecuador and Peru's border most covered with jungles, thick mountain forest, smaller populations didn't show any FARC?

I wonder Nicaragua, Venezuela, and Ecuador one day will form some sort of group or anti-American alliance down the road?

The leaders of FARC were given an abstract lesson about how Peru with insurgents in the form of Sendero Luminoso and MRTA. The AFP and PNP don't tend to pull punches with these types of groups. To the extent of wiping out bases of support in the civilian population and "disappearing" people and if rumors are to be believed whole villages.

I think given the current leadership of the countries mentioned : Chavez, Ortega, Correa it maybe a possibility, especially Chavez and Ortega.

You may also see El Salvador aligning with Chavez and Ortega since the FMLN has won the recent election. FMLN is the party formed from the Rebel faction in the civil war. They had been supported by Ortega's Sandanista Goverment and Cuba, so the political leanings and communication channels are already there in place.

Last edited:
The leaders of FARC were given an abstract lesson about how Peru with insurgents in the form of Sendero Luminoso and MRTA. The AFP and PNP don't tend to pull punches with these types of groups. To the extent of wiping out bases of support in the civilian population and "disappearing" people and if rumors are to be believed whole villages.
I think I get what your saying but have to look up Sendero Luminoso, MRTA, AFP, I think PNP are Peruvian National Police? I assume if I Google this names I'll find information on them?

You may also see El Salvador aligning with Chavez and Ortega since the FMLN has won the recent election
I find this troubling for a number of reasons for future problems I just don't like things too close to our back door.

Iran's President was in Nicaragua and Venezuela a few years ago and sign minor argeements on trade items I think. Again the back yard things bothers me.

Central American in general it's past El Salvador, FMLN, Sandanista, etc becuase it lack aviation (fast movers) and I was younger I didn't follow it much, I know must have lived under a rock. Do you know of a good book or a soruce that covers this time period?

Thanks
icon14.gif

The Protection Racket State by William Deane Stanley is a good but biased account.

Insurgent Collective Action by E.J. Wood also biased but informative.

Americas: Changing face of Latin America and the Caribbean By Winn is probably the best bet.

Be warned that all are a little dry.

Sendero Luminoso- Shining Path Maoist insurgents

MRTA- Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement- Moviemiento Revolucionario Tupac Amaru (MRTA) Marxist/Leninist Insurgement

PNP- Peruvian National Police-

AFP- Armed Forces Peru

Back