Best forever

dougal

This should have been posted earlier, sorry,

It was the sad news they had been expecting, but George Best’s family were clearly still devastated when they spoke of his death today.

Facing scores of journalists at the Cromwell Hospital, where they had just seen his life slip away, they paid tribute to Best and to his medical team, led by Professor Roger Williams, who had treated the football legend since his liver transplant in 2002.

His son Calum Best, welling up with emotion, spoke first.

He said: “My father has passed away.

“Not only have I lost my dad but we have all lost a wonderful man and I would like to take the time to thank Professor Williams and Dr Akeel (Alisa) and everyone here at the Cromwell Hospital for doing everything they can do, and all the well-wishers and friends and letters and flowers and emails.

"It all means so much to all of us.”

Best’s sister Barbara McNarry’s voice broke as she read a statement.

In it, the family said: “As you can imagine this is a very difficult time so you will understand if we are a bit emotional.

“First of all I would like to say on behalf of the family a huge thank you to everyone who has supported George and us though this traumatic time.

“In particular to Professor Williams and to Dr Akeel (Alisa) who have become firm friends as well as medical advisers to George, to the rest of the medical staff and particularly (those) from the intensive care unit, who have offered the most overwhelming support, especially over the last 24 hours.

“Words cannot describe to lengths to which they have gone to make this easy for the family.

Best RIP, From Oran Bay '90 soccer club

ihead_010206.jpg

000039ec0a8.jpg

To say he lived his life to the full was an understatement, on the football field he was magic. Of the football field he his love for wine women was legendary, my only complaint that some one more deserving should have had the liver that he got and ruined by continually drinking vast amounts of alcohol.

Its a pitty he made football what it is now, all the glamer.

For those who never heard of him, he was as good as Pele but never made it to the world cup while playing for N.Ireland.

He threw it all away by abusing drink, had a fab wife and life.

00recorte_18898.jpg

Celebrity-Image-George-Best-231007.jpg

maybe i'm being harsh, but i can't see past his private life.]]

GREAT PLAYER though.

Back