Bears and Lions have something in common

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

LARRY LAGE

Associated Press

DETROIT - Other than being an NFC North team, the Chicago Bears will be like the Detroit Lions in only one way Sunday. Both teams are not playing for anything. The only way Chicago (12-2) can lose is with injuries because it has clinched home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. If Detroit (2-12) snaps its six-game losing streak, it could lose the No. 1 pick in the draft.
The Bears insist they will play as if something is at stake, using their starters as long as necessary to win. They're not worried about the risk of losing a key player, or players, to injury in what appears to be a meaningless game for them.
"You weigh risk every day you practice," Chicago coach Lovie Smith said. "We have two more games left. It's good to know we're in the playoffs and all of that, but we want to stay as sharp as possible.
"There's no reason for a vacation."
Rex Grossman agrees.
Chicago's quarterback set career highs with 29 completions, 44 attempts and 339 yards in last week's 34-31 overtime win against Tampa Bay. He also threw for two scores, helping him finish with a passing rating of at least 100 for an NFL-high seventh time this season.
Grossman is glad the plan is to not let him rest and possibly rust.
"I like to play the game. I'd do it for free if they didn't pay us," said Grossman, who had a career-high four TDs passing in the 34-7 win over Detroit in Week 2. "I love to go out there and compete. I think that everyone will have that same mind-set just because it's an intense game that you have to bring a lot of emotion to no matter what the situation is."
The Lions have somehow generated enough passion to compete in nearly every game during their miserable season.
"It's amazing that we've been in these games with what's gone on this year with the injuries," quarterback Jon Kitna said, referring to Detroit's 13 players on injured reserve.
Players credit first-year coach Rod Marinelli for motivating them to care about every snap during a season that started with five straight losses and sank again with a six-game skid heading into games against the Bears at Dallas to end the regular season.
"Am I surprised that we didn't crack?" center Dominic Raiola asked. "No. I think that's a product of what is being instilled in us. Coach has made it really clear: `If you don't want to be here, go. Or, I'll help you go.'" Some expect Mike Williams to be the next to go with a release in the offseason, following recent No. 1 picks discarded by Detroit: Joey Harrington and Charles Rogers.
Williams, drafted 10th overall in 2005, was inactive or did not play in eight of the first 10 games because the team was not happy with his weight and work ethic. Despite the perception this could be his last home game as a Lion, Williams remains upbeat about his future with the team.
"I'm going to be here," he said. "I don't think there should be any question of whether I'll be back."
The Bears don't have to bother with such issues as they enjoy one of the best regular seasons in franchise history with a team that ranks second in the NFL in points scored, third in points against and dominates on special teams.
Pro Bowl cornerback Nathan Vasher doesn't expect those fabulous facets to change as the regular season closes at Detroit and against the Green Bay Packers with only intangibles on the line for the Bears.
"I know our situation with our season and our record and stuff right now and everybody's feeling like we're not going to be as focused," said Vasher, who missed the last two games with a hamstring injury. "I think we're going to have two of the best games we've had. We're going to finish up with Green Bay here and get ready for the playoffs."
Chicago defensive end Adewale Ogunleye insists something is at stake even before the games really count in January.
"You want to win the division and sweep it all out and set the tone for years to come," he said. "Playing against the Chicago Bears in the NFC North is not going to be a joke. We don't want to give anybody any type of moral victory.
"We're trying to get ready for a run at the Super Bowl. We're going to start this week and try to play great football."

Back