attack choppers

tommy_gunn

Who makes the best or the worst attack chopper?
1 of my favorite is the Russian mil. hind29 "not sure on number" Known as the devils chariot. Also like the COMANCHE and the cobra, still like to know more what is out there?

The upcoming T-129 of the Turkish Land Forces will be based on the proven platform of the A-129INT/Mangusta. T-129, however, will carry the LHTEC T800 engine of the US Commanche program, which is pretty much the Ferrari of helicopter engines. These increase T-129's maximum hovering altitute by 20%.

800px-AgustaA129_03.jpg

T-129 will also feature 4 x FIM-92 pylons located on the wing tips, and therefore will have A2A engagement capability with a range of up to 5 kilometers. An indigenously developed (Aselsan) mast (or nose/belly mounted) radar will provide MMW-band detection capability of tanks, vehicles and softer targets. AselFLIR-300T will provide 3rd generation infrared/night vision/optical detection, tracking and target designation capability for Turkey's own laser guided Cirit missiles for cost-effective elimination of all targets except MBTs. OMTAS and UMTAS missiles (currently under development) will replace Turkey's current Hellfire I/II ATMs and will be the main anti-tank weapon of choice aboard the T-129.

t129.png

This chopper will also feature 100% Turkish avionics, mission computer, communications, navigation system, EW/countermeasure suite, as well as an advanced helmet-mounted cueing system called Avci.

atak.jpg

So, in summary, T-129 is basically A-129 Int on dangerous steroids. :D

A129_635_423.jpg

Bump.

How come no one's interested in this great topic? Come on folks, get involved. List your favorite attack helo and its specs and tell us why you like it over others.

Hi Lunatik
Its a great topic I guess I like the Cobra the best but also like the transport types loaded up with rockets and cannon pods. I think for countries that can't afford $25/$35 mil per helicopter, there are a lot of great options out there.

Helicopters have so many moving parts and I think maintenance is huge and makes or breaks any type money can buy. I would like to learn more about not only their general cost but yearly operational cost? I read with modern fighters with pilots flying in the 200/225 hours per year that the operational cost is most likely more then double the cost of the fighter itself. I don't know where modern attack or gunship helicopters fall on such a chart?

There are several threads about helos of different varieties.
Most people have already made their opinions known.

Do a search and read them posts mate.

BTW The hind is Mi24. and a letter depending on version.

KJ sends..

Back