Anyone know about working with leather?

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
So I've got lots of tools lying around, a sewing machine, some leatherworking tools from a horse friend who passed recently (RIP, lost him the same day I graduated from high school), and I'm in need of a holster for the Springfield. I've been looking at Bianchi and Tucker leatherworks, but I'd like to try to make my own, to my own specifications:

1.Sheepskin or wool lined to protect the melonite finish of the gun from leather residue
2. Modular: Four brass snaps, one small leather strap- can be used as a thigh/leg rig, or worn on the belt/hip with the change of the snap position.
3. Ergonomic- comfortable to wear.
4. Looks fairly nice; good-grain leather, and more-or-less fitted to the gun (such as leather holsters molded to contours of their specific gun, but this is going to be hampered by both the lining and the skill of the maker.

I think I've got myself a nice little project, but I don't know where to look for either leather for leatherworking, or sheepskin for the lining. Suggestions? Hints? Anyone try this kinda thing before?

Check out a saddle maker for leather (they do not retail leather to my knowledge, but at least they can have some leftovers to sell you) and any wildlife / wilderness shop for sheep skin, unless you want the raw materials for your own processing?

I broke down and bought an Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster, it's cordura, won't damage the gun as fast. I'm going to make a few alterations to it so I can use it as a tie-down or thigh rig, and stitch a magazine pouch onto it.

Back