AIT?

abaker

So, I have recently looked at joining the Army, still a little confused though. So, is taking the ASVAB test necessary, or can you just choose your MOS? Also, can you only do one AIT, or can you do more after the first if you decide you want to do something else? Would I be able to go to AIT for Aviation Logistics and then after doing that for a while decide I want to go infantry? Don't tear me up :?, haven't talked to a recruiter or anything, and just started researching recently.

Last edited:
"So, I have recently looked at joining the Army, still a little confused though. So, is taking the ASVAB test necessary, or can you just choose your MOS?"

Yes, taking the ASVAB is necessary so you can find out which MOSs you are qualified for. After you take the test, you will find out which MOSs you are qualified for. Then the recruiters will help you find out which MOSs are available.

"Also, can you only do one AIT, or can you do more after the first if you decide you want to do something else?"

It's possible to do another, but it could take a while. If you decide you want to do something else, you generally have to wait until your term of service is up. Then you can find out which(if any) other MOSs you can try for. Actually, that's the "official" line, but you can theoretically put in a Personnel Request at any time you want, although some units will STRONGLY discourage or just flat disapprove any requests submitted outside their standards.

"Would I be able to go to AIT for Aviation Logistics and then after doing that for a while decide I want to go infantry? Don't tear me up :???:, haven't talked to a recruiter or anything, and just started researching recently."

They don't like spending a lot of money to teach somebody one job only to have them leave for another job. That said, when it's time to re-enlist you sometimes have the option of going to another school or MOS. Your choices will depend on the MOS you are in and which MOS you want to learn. Getting into the Infantry is pretty easy, since there are LOTS of slots available in the field.

For the most part fourduece is right. Once you choose a MOS expect to be locked into it. There are exceptions however. Take my RSTA (recon) sqd for example. They highly endorse MOS schooling as long as it makes me a better front line soldier. There is a bonus of $2,000 going right now to go to 13F school in my unit. (forward observer). If my unit thinks it's a school that will make me a better soldier for them they will send me. The catch is they will never let me leave the unit. And if I asked for say, cook or admin or mechanic they would laugh in my face and say no.

No doesn't always mean NO, though. When I was finishing my first term of service(after doing 3 years in the Infantry) I decided I wanted to learn photography. The re-enlistment NCO told me I couldn't go from an understrength MOS(11C) to an overstrength MOS(84B), so I told him thanks for checking. A few weeks later he called me and told me he had a school slot for me for Photography School. He couldn't guarantee that I would get the MOS, but if I completed the school it was a pretty safe bet that I'd be reclassified. I finished Photography School and worked as a photographer for the next few years, but went right back to the Infantry after that.:camo:
Sometimes you'll get one answer from some people, but the personnel clerks don't always know everything that can be done. The military regulations are full of loopholes and there's a LOT of them for people to know. I worked for about a year as a Battalion Finance Clerk, and my boss told me to tell anybody who wanted to request any kind of transfer or personnel action that they had to be in the unit for at least a year before they could put in their request even though there weren't any regulations which said that. I put in my own request(for Airborne School) after I had been there for about 3 months, and 6 months later I was on my way to Fort Benning.:angel:

FourDeuce you did the right thing. Got photography out of your system & reverted back to Infantry & even added Airborne Infantry.

Good for you!!

(Nothing against photography. I worked as an industrial photographer between my Navy & Army years but insisted on Airborne Infantry in my Army contract.)

Back