Air Force ROTC Question

sst

Hello,

I've done research and asked a couple of recruiters, but I still have questions, so I hoped someone here would be able to help!

I'm a Sophomore at Hunter College in NYC. According to the Air Force website, my college does not have the ROTC program, but it is part of the CUNY (City University of New York) system, and several of those colleges DO participate in ROTC through a cross-town agreement. Because of this, it would make sense if I could also apply to ROTC. Does anyone know if this is possible?

If ROTC IS an option, does anyone have any advice for getting in? I have over a 3.75 GPA and I'm in the Honors Program at my college. I don't know my major yet, but I know I'm double minoring in Chinese and Japanese (and I have a perfect 4.0 in both of these). However, it still sounds super competitive. Do I have a shot?

If ROTC is NOT an option, what are the downsides and benefits of each: joining the Reserves while still in college, and then trying to get a commission when I graduate, or just waiting until after college and going to OTS? And what are my chances of getting into OTS? My ultimate goal is to get a job with the FBI, so with that in mind, does anyone have any advice?

Sorry for the long post! Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Okay, two things:

1. If your ultimate goal is to join the FBI, why don't you apply directly to them coming out of college? Or are you looking for the military to help pay tuition?

2. Check with your Dean's office to see if they accept the crosstown agreements with the other schools that offer ROTC (does Fordham have Air Force ROTC?). For example, I know Columbia accepts the Army ROTC crosstown agreement with Fordham. And when I was in college, my school (Tufts) had the crosstown agreement for all three services' ROTC at MIT.

Hope that helps. I'm based in lower Manhattan at Fed Plaza, feel free to PM me if you want to meet up in person.

I know you have to have a minimum of 3 years professional experience to become a special agent, and that it is extremely competitive. I was hoping that becoming an officer in the air force would work as my professional experience and also give me an edge. That was my original reasoning, anyway, but now I've just become set on joining, and especially on ROTC. Thanks for your response; I'm going to PM you as well.

Back