ADF - Assessment day and OSB advice

skipper

Hey there. I realise that this thread has been done before, but all the info is pretty scattered around the forums. Could anyone list any comprehensive advice on what exactly you should research to prepare for your Assessment and Officer selection Board. i had my JOEs day today, and was absolutely stoked to get 18 on my aptitude testing. The problem is that I'm a retard when it comes to interviews. What kind of stuff will the recruiters be asking and what are some good LONG answers to certain questions? Any help would be much appreciated and if I get in, I'll buy all contributors a beer later. cheers

The idea of the selection board is that it should be unknown to you, and should pose a challenge. They want to see who you are, not what answers I gave to pass my selection board.

I can give you a little heads up though. You will spend the first portion doing public speaking and problem solving. You will then have a semi-formal lunch with the officers of the selection board. Then you will do some fitness related tests and some outdoor team based problem solving. Lastly you will have your final interview with the board. This can last from 10 mins to a couple of hours depending on your results so far.

Keep this in mind though, if you are "retarded" when it comes to interviews as you say, being an officer may turn out to be a difficult choice. This is just the first step.... it's going to take a long time.

I thought the public speaking was only for the RAAF candidates?

Nah mate.
You get tasks like "talk for 2 minutes about a topic of your choice" without any prior preparation, and then they'll get you to debate a topic in current affairs or something along those lines.

Follow EVERY instruction they give you to the letter in relation to how things must be done. If they as for 2 minutes of speaking give them 2 minutes only.... If asked to write 1 paragraph, give them only one.

Last edited:
Back