3-Year-Old Boy Undergoes Surgery On US Mercy Mission Ship

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Philippine Star
June 14, 2008 By Pia Lee-Brago
A three-year-old boy from Cotabato City suffering from Hirschsprung’s disease has taken the first step toward a healthy, normal life thanks to a visiting US naval hospital ship.
Clarence Dacuycuy brought her son Jose Angelo to the USNS Mercy Pacific Partnership health screening at Cotabato Regional Health Center in Cotabato City. Angelo’s illness has afflicted his colon, causing constipation and blockage in the intestine. If left untreated, it can result in infection, rupture of the colon, and even death.
“Upon examination, it was determined that Angelo had a bowel problem, so I brought him on board the next day to see if we could provide some treatment,” said US Navy Commander Stephanie Kapfer, an orthopedic surgeon.
Angelo was brought aboard the Mercy for surgery.
“He is small for his age. I want him to grow up and be healthy and bigger,” said Dacuycuy. “I told him about the surgery and that I would be by his side.”
One difficulty with this surgery was the required follow-on care, including two more surgeries needed for full recovery. But that didn’t stop Kapfer from taking the first step.
“When I saw him, I knew immediately that the kid was sick, and we had to do something, even if it was only the first step in what he ultimately needed to be treated and be normal,” said Kapfer.
Kapfer called Dr. Lito Chiou, Angelo’s pediatric surgeon from the Cotabato Regional Medical Center, and asked if he would like to join the operation. Kapfer and Chiou performed surgery on Angelo last June 3.
“Dr. Chiou is an excellent surgeon and has a lot of experience. In the operating room, it was the normal surgeon-to-surgeon banter and academic discussion,” said Kapfer.
After the surgery Dacuycuy said her son seemed noticeably healthier.
“He is more playful now, much improved,” she said. “He is restless and wants to go home. He misses his brother very much.”
The important follow-on medical care will be provided by Dr. Chiou with the assistance of Dr. Andy DeRossi of the 3P Foundation, a non-government organization that provides humanitarian assistance to promote peace and prosperity among the most disadvantaged sectors of Philippine society.
“3P Foundation will make a donation to Cotabato General Hospital to make Angelo’s operations possible,” said DeRossi.

Back