Your Bad Christmas experiences

Duty Honor Country

All signs are pointing to an outstanding Christmas for me this year, but I have had 2 horrible Christmas experiences in the past.

In 1997 as my first Christmas as a soldier, I did not have enough leave to go home so I was in the barracks for the holidays. Someone at the unit stole 2 of my Christmas packages so I had no presets on that day. The packages were sent from 2 different post offices on 2 different days. Of course on 1 JAN 98, the post office began to offer insurance on packages.

2 years ago on 22 DEC I discovered that my now ex wife was having affair #2. Talk about a Merry :cens:ing Christmas. I spent 3 weeks in solitude before beginning a new semester at school.

Anyone got some not so merry Christmas experiences to share?

Last edited:
my parents have nearly split up two years in a row over christmas. i'm hoping it's not going to happen this year..

I had some bad ones but those are a bit personal.
The other was Christmas 2005.
It snowed like hell and because our Captain was a master butt sniffer (NBC Company, not the Amphibious Raid BN) we had to climb to the top of the OP and sweep the snow off for a distance about 500 meters. Oh and we had to do it three or four times (can't remember but we were heading out as soon as we came back in our barracks). We were out of salt. Which was not so bad because if we had any I was the one who had to carry it up.

I spent Christmas 1967, 1968 and 1969 in Singapore and nearly had to spend Christmas in Cyprus 1970. Finally made it home at 02:00hrs Christmas morning 1970

Last edited:
Other than having to work eight straight overnight shifts during Christmas '06? Can't say that I have...

Two aunts and an uncle died within days of Christmas over a 4 year period. That and the fact that I've had to work EVERY SINGLE Christmas for the past 3 years......because I'm single with no kids and so in my boss's words "won't mind letting those with families stay home"......yeah. Not my favorite time of year. Soooooooooooo happy its over.

Back