WWII Quiz

now you have me interested in your answer.... what did you have? maybe i could do some digging on the answer you have, but as for my answer, it was the only thing i can remember/find in my books to an assination attempt in the early months of 1943...

but to keep things rolling, heres the next question...

This man was the named the Greatest mass murderer of all time by the German magazine Der Spiegel, and the overseer of all the concentration camps, extermination camps and firing squads. He was also the sucessor of Adolf Hitler, only to be stripped of his rank and titles when he was found negotiating with allied forces.
1. What was his name
2. What was his first major title
3. How did he die?

now you have me interested in your answer.... what did you have? maybe i could do some digging on the answer you have, but as for my answer, it was the only thing i can remember/find in my books to an assination attempt in the early months of 1943...

This man was the named the Greatest mass murderer of all time by the German magazine Der Spiegel, and the overseer of all the concentration camps, extermination camps and firing squads. He was also the sucessor of Adolf Hitler, only to be stripped of his rank and titles when he was found negotiating with allied forces.
1. What was his name
3. How did he die?

(1) Herman Goering
(2) SA Gruppenfuhrer, later to become Reichsmarschall
(3) Suicide by taking poison

There were approximately 42 attempts on Hitlers life, as far as I am aware there were 5 in 1943.

Yes but I think you need to re-read my question, this wasnt an assassination attempt it was "apparently" a close call with the Russians.
The story is that while visiting von Mansteins headquarters at Zaporozje on Feb 17th 1943 he had to make a rapid departure due to a Russian breakthrough and Russian tanks over ran the airfield as he was taking off.
The problem I have with my question was that I can not confirm that Zaporozje was retaken around that time so I accepted the frst reliable answer that was given.

1. What was his name
3. How did he die?

Heinrich Luitpold Himmler Reichsführer-SS (Supreme Commander of the SS), Successor of Adolf Hitler (as Reich chancellor), he became deputy–Reichsführer-SS in 1927 which I presume was his first major title. He died by biting into a capsule of Potassium Cyanide (Suicide).

Which naval Enigma cipher (excluding ones used for training exercises) was never broken during the war, and what was it called?

At least one other branch of the German military used a version of Enigma which was never broken during the war. Which branch was this? (treat this second part of the question as a bonus)

Last edited:
I'm going to say that it was the U-boat one, which was captured - not broken, called shark or something like that.

As for the bonus I'll take a shot at the Abwehr, as Canaris was in charge of them.

Can I have P please Bob?

Nice attempt Partisan, but it is not a trick question it wasn't solved by hook or crook in any form. (Clue, like Shark it was named after a marine creature).

Actually Enigma was practically uncrackable by the technology of the time, only mistakes and poor operational procedures allowed Ultra in. The Germans understood Enigma's limitations but didn't allow for the fallibility of it's operators.

PS you are along the right lines with the Abwher.

Nice attempt Partisan, but it is not a trick question it wasn't solved by hook or crook in any form. (Clue, like Shark it was named after a marine creature).

Actually Enigma was practically uncrackable by the technology of the time, only mistakes and poor operational procedures allowed Ultra in. The Germans understood Enigma's limitations but didn't allow for the fallibility of it's operators.

PS you are along the right lines with the Abwher.

Barracuda (Neptun)
Barracuda was used from May 1941. It was never broken.

Gestapo Enigma, known as TGD.

Well done BritinAfrica, your turn

http://www.uboat.net/technical/enigma_ciphers.htm

where did you get the Gestapo information from?

I knew the first part of the question but was not 100% sure of the second part, your comment regarding the Abwher put me on track.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article5860173.ece

My question is:-

(1) On which 19th century Frigate did the official surrender of a U Boat in 1945 take place?

(2) Where did the surrender take place?

(3) What was the U Boat number?

The Frigate was renamed twice during WW2. She reverted back to her original name in 1959.

Give her original name when answering question 1

Last edited:
I'm broken, none of my tomes have anything to say and the internet overwhelms me with info. The closest I can get is that it may have taken place in Dundee, on a Leda class Frigate.

C'mon BritinAfrica, gis a clue..

I'm broken, none of my tomes have anything to say and the internet overwhelms me with info. The closest I can get is that it may have taken place in Dundee, on a Leda class Frigate.

C'mon BritinAfrica, gis a clue..

You are actually closer then you think, you have answered one of the questions, it was at Dundee, you are so close to the answer.

Last edited:
Okay here it goes:

1. HMS Unicorn, renamed during the war to HMS Cressy, as a light aircraft carrier was commissioned with that name.
2. Dundee, Scotland
3. U 2326, although I can't seem to find any records stating this.

Great questions, my brain hurts - more beer.

Okay here it goes:

1. HMS Unicorn, renamed during the war to HMS Cressy, as a light aircraft carrier was commissioned with that name.
2. Dundee, Scotland
3. U 2326, although I can't seem to find any records stating this.

Great questions, my brain hurts - more beer.

yes yes yes
Well done.

She was first renamed Unicron II in 1939, but then renamed Cressy in 1941

<http://www.frigateunicorn.org>

"Unicorn" was built years after Napoleon was exiled to
St Helena and languished 'in ordinary' for decades. She
made just one sea voyage when she was towed north to the
Tay in 1873. She never fought a war and never fired a
gun in anger but she is probably the only Georgian man-
o'-war to take the surrender of a U-boat! It was on May
14, 1945, a week after war in Europe had actually ended.
German commander Karl Jobst has lost contact with his
base and was unaware that hostilities were over. The
British, no doubt somewhat stretched at the time,
accepted his surrender and his Nazi dirk is on display
on board "Unicorn" to this day.

As an aside, there are photographs of the U Boat Commander and his Executive Officer leaving the Unicorn, the Exec smashed his head into one of the low beams on Unicorn and the photograph shows him rubbing his forehead. There was a Dutch naval officer who translated during the surrender, who failed however, to translate "Mind your head."

Last edited:
Huzzah!!

Now I can pack my stuff away & the wife will stop nagging. In the meantime here is something to keep the rest of you going:

Starting at the end of 1944, this was the longest single battle fought in US history. It resulted in severe casualties for the US Army (& the Germans). Initial phase cost more than the Omaha beach landings. A reporter called it:

"Passchendale with tree bursts"

1. What was the Battle?
2. Who was the reporter?

"War correspondent Ernest Hemingway called it a “Passchendaele with tree bursts,” referring to the horrific Battle of Ypres in Belgium during World War I. An estimated 12,000 German and 50,000 American soldiers – out of 120,000 – died in “Hürtgen Hell” due to fierce German resistance, dark forest terrain, disastrous weather conditions, and, above all, catastrophic military misjudgment of the situation. "
In short, the Battle for the Hürtgen Forest, which some have called the meat grinder. Division after division were sent in and literally ground up. One of the most dumb mistakes by the Allied High command who never went near the place.
Source: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Passchendale+with+tree+bursts&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlantic-times.com%2Farchive_detail.php%3FrecordID%3D13

Well so much for that, well done Tomtom, tag you're it. I'm off to find a fiendishly cunning question..see Blacjadder for the rest of the quote.

In 1942 a massacre was committed against Allied soldiers by members of the Imperial Japanese Army.

Name the location where this occurred, the Allied units involved and the Japanese Officer responsible.

There were numerous atrocities such as this committed by the Japanese throughout the Far East during 1942 .

Can you be a little more specific?

Back