WWII Quiz - Page 120

--

October 30th, 2006  
Dean

Sorry, guys, I've been away for a bit. Anyhow, here's a true trivia question for you all. When did the Wehrmacht start using the Nazi salute, and why?

Dean.
October 30th, 2006  
The Cooler King

After Von Stauffenberg's attempted assassination of Hitler.
October 31st, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cooler King
Not that I want to be a nudge or anything, but that was when, and what was Hitler's reasons for it?
--
October 31st, 2006  
The Cooler King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Not that I want to be a nudge or anything, but that was when, and what was Hitler's reasons for it?
So he could get rid of anyone in the Army he feared would oppose him.
October 31st, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cooler King
November 1st, 2006  
MontyB

The wehrmacht was ordered to replace the standard military salute with the Hitler salute on the 23rd of July 1944.
Why?
Well to be honest I am not really sure, my understanding was that as a result of of the July 20 assassination attempt it was decided that all officers were to be members of the Nazi party as a way of ensuring their loyalty (unfortunately I am unable verify this and cannot find anything else).
November 2nd, 2006  
Dean

You are right. It was Hitler's way of suborning the army to the party leadership. He must have thought that if all soldiers used the party salute, then they must be loyal. it probably did work out that way, as the Nazi salute was a very powerful symbol, and I am sure that its significance was not lost on anyone. At any rate, on to you once again, Monty.

Dean.
November 3rd, 2006  
MontyB

Ok I will go with something quick and simple...
On what date was the first Japanese merchant ship sunk by a US submarine.
November 6th, 2006  
perseus

December 15, 1941
November 6th, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
December 15, 1941
Indeed it was.
Been trying easier questions to encourage more participation.

All yours.