WWII Quiz - Page 119

--

October 21st, 2006  
Dean

Hehehehehe...

I worded the question in such a way that internet searches are virtually useless, and I guess it worked. There were 4 tough nuts to crack, and I will accept any2 of those 4. Here are some clues:

One of them was a fortress that had been there for a vary long time before the war.
The other 2 were built to defend Berlin during the war. During the final battle they were rarely used in the way they were supposed to.
The last one was never a fortress. It was the way it was defended that made it a difficult target.

Dean.
October 21st, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Hehehehehe...

I worded the question in such a way that internet searches are virtually useless, and I guess it worked. There were 4 tough nuts to crack, and I will accept any2 of those 4. Here are some clues:

One of them was a fortress that had been there for a vary long time before the war.
The other 2 were built to defend Berlin during the war. During the final battle they were rarely used in the way they were supposed to.
The last one was never a fortress. It was the way it was defended that made it a difficult target.

Dean.
Well I was heading down the flak towers, underground and debris from battle damage (air/ground) path. Guess I will go back to thinking again.
October 22nd, 2006  
Dean

The flak towers are correct. They were the answer to the second part of the clues, and the Russians only took them after negotiating their surrender. The third also fell to the Russians after a negotiated surrender, and the fourth was stormed and taken with very heavy casualties. They were the Spandau Citadel, and the fourth was the Reichstag itself. As there were very few guesses and in the interests of moving things along, I now, once again say, go for it, Monty

Dean.
--
October 22nd, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
The flak towers are correct. They were the answer to the second part of the clues, and the Russians only took them after negotiating their surrender. The third also fell to the Russians after a negotiated surrender, and the fourth was stormed and taken with very heavy casualties. They were the Spandau Citadel, and the fourth was the Reichstag itself. As there were very few guesses and in the interests of moving things along, I now, once again say, go for it, Monty

Dean.

Ummm oook, my previous post wasnt actually an answer though it was more "thinking out loud" before I prepared an answer.

The Flak towers were an easy option however I was heading down the path where damage to buildings from ground and air was creating defensive positions (as in the case with the Reichstag and oddly enough Monte Cassino) but anyway I am not really sure I answered the question so it may be fairer t open it to anyone with a question.
October 25th, 2006  
perseus

What was unusual about the first bomb to land on Germany during WW2
October 25th, 2006  
MontyB

It was a mistake, the bomb was originally meant to be dropped on German shipping but failed to release, it then fell off over German soil on the way back from the mission.
October 25th, 2006  
perseus

Correct MontyB

It fell off on the return trip over the island of Heligoland on December 3, 1939.
October 25th, 2006  
MontyB

What was the first ship sunk by a German radio controlled bomb?
October 28th, 2006  
Dean

On 27 August 1943, the sloop HMS Egret received the dubious honour of being the first ship ever sunk by a guided missile
October 28th, 2006  
MontyB

Indeed it was, over to you.