WWII Quiz - Page 105

--

September 1st, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
A clue: the new name has not stuck, so my home city has the same name now as it has been before the war
Alright I'll have another stab at this.

1. Liski (Georgiu-Dezh)
2. Gheorghe Gheorghiu-De
3. Voronezh Oblast
September 1st, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Alright I'll have another stab at this.

1. Liski (Georgiu-Dezh)
2. Gheorghe Gheorghiu-De
3. Voronezh Oblast
Nope.

Another clue:

I have said before - the new name has not stuck.

Now I am adding - the new name has not survived even before the WWII has ended(you can surmise from that that the victors didn't like it
September 1st, 2006  
perseus

In 1922 Łódź became the capital of the Łódź Voivodeship, The city received the new name of Litzmannstadt in WW2 after the German general Karl Litzmann, who captured the city during World War I. Nevertheless, many Łódź Germans refused to sign Volksliste and become Volksdeutsche, The name was changed back to Łódź

A few other guesses

Braşov → Oraşul Stalin → Braşov
Zabrze → Hindenburg → Zabrze
Shenyang → Shengjiang → Fengtianfu → Mukden → Fengtian → Shenyang
--
September 2nd, 2006  
Reiben

Lviv was Lemberg

Guess its not because of your clue.

Was it part of Poland or Germany before WW2?
September 2nd, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiben
Lviv was Lemberg

Guess its not because of your clue.

Was it part of Poland or Germany before WW2?
It was part of Poland until 1939, then USSR...

OK, the next clue:

If we imagine(just for a moment!!!) that GWB has suggested in 2003 to the British to rename city of Basra after Tony Blair and take the S. Iraq into British possession(making the new "Blair-city" a capital of it)... then it will be very similar to the situation during WWII with my home city....
September 2nd, 2006  
Doppleganger

Well I need another clue here. Kinda stuck.
September 2nd, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Well I need another clue here. Kinda stuck.
I think the answer is easy, as soon as you use the logic first, and Google secnd
Ask yourself some simple questions, like:
1. who can create a new province and rename cities in the middle of the World War? More probable, it would be the invaders, right?
2. The name has not stuck(my first hint!), so, logically, it would be the Axis powers, who renamed the city...Because, they lost and whatewer changes they have made, they have been unmade by the UN countries
This sets up pretty much the geographical scene, knowing that Riussian is my native language
3. And the last hint I have made (about Basra) should give you a very narrow set of options on who(what countries) could have made these changes.

BTW, my next question will be on what city I have gone to college...
September 3rd, 2006  
zander_0633

And where might that be?
September 3rd, 2006  
perseus

Quote:
rename city of Basra after Tony Blair and take the S. Iraq into British possession(making the new "Blair-city" a capital of it)...
After seeing his mug, perhaps he might!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=403190&in_page_id=1770

Seriously though, if it isnít on this list I give up.
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-city-name-changes-in-russia-and-soviet-union
September 3rd, 2006  
Reiben

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
It was part of Poland until 1939, then USSR...

OK, the next clue:

If we imagine(just for a moment!!!) that GWB has suggested in 2003 to the British to rename city of Basra after Tony Blair and take the S. Iraq into British possession(making the new "Blair-city" a capital of it)... then it will be very similar to the situation during WWII with my home city....
I was thinking of Brest-on-the-Bug and Brest-Litovsk originally. But it doesnt seem to fit.