WWII Quiz

There is a bit of an argument going on as to who Major Martin really was, some say he was the matelot from HMS Dasher, while others say he was a homeless Welshman who died from Pneumonia.

What was the modification that was supposed to prevent the Rolls Royce Merlin cutting out when the aeroplane was inverted?

What was the nick name given to it?

They placed a flow restrictor, a small metal disc much like a plain metal washer, in the carburetor.
It was developed my an engineer called Beatrice (Tilly) Shilling and was nicknamed:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBE
"Miss Shilling's Orifice " :eek:

Here is a quick question to get things moving...

Which country sustained the second highest casualty number (combined military and civilian) during WW2.

(1)Which aircraft apart from Enola Gay and Bockscar were considered for dropping the Atomic Bombs on Japan?

(2)Why was this aircraft considered?

Last edited:
I would gues the B24 might have been considered as it would have been one of the few that had the range and lifting power.

I would gues the B24 might have been considered as it would have been one of the few that had the range and lifting power.
I'm guessing he meant the name of another B-29, though some B-32s were made that was the intended competition to the B-29.

Sorry guys you are both wrong. I did word it so that it would throw people off track. The correct answer is (1) the AVRO Lancaster because (2) of its large bomb bay.

I don't think the Lancaster had the range to this job even though it had the capacity to do the job

There was a long range Lanc that had been built for use in the Pacific theater. 32 aircraft were converted, upgraded engines with paddle-bladed propellers gave more power, and the removal of gun turrets reduced weight and gave smoother lines and modified to carry a dorsal "saddle tank" with 1,200 gal (5,455 L) mounted aft of a modified canopy for increasing range. No. 1577 SD Flight tested the aircraft in India and Australia in 1945 for possible use in the Pacific,

There was a long range Lanc that had been built for use in the Pacific theater. 32 aircraft were converted, upgraded engines with paddle-bladed propellers gave more power, and the removal of gun turrets reduced weight and gave smoother lines and modified to carry a dorsal "saddle tank" with 1,200 gal (5,455 L) mounted aft of a modified canopy for increasing range. No. 1577 SD Flight tested the aircraft in India and Australia in 1945 for possible use in the Pacific,

Has the Lancaster a larger bomb bay than a B17?

Has the Lancaster a larger bomb bay than a B17?

A Lancaster has a much bomb bay larger than a B-17, or any other bomber of WWII. It was the main reason for the success of the aeroplane.
It could carry bigger and heavier bomb loads than a Fortress.
The Tall Boy and Grand Slam were the largest conventional bombs dropped in WWII.
On a mission to Berlin, a B-17's max bomb load was 4000 lbs.
This was because the bomb load had to be off set against the fuel, ammo, crew etc.
A Mosquito could carry a single 4000 lb "Cookie" to Berlin, with just two crew.

A Lancaster has a much bomb bay larger than a B-17, or any other bomber of WWII. It was the main reason for the success of the aeroplane.
It could carry bigger and heavier bomb loads than a Fortress.
The Tall Boy and Grand Slam were the largest conventional bombs dropped in WWII.
On a mission to Berlin, a B-17's max bomb load was 4000 lbs.
This was because the bomb load had to be off set against the fuel, ammo, crew etc.
A Mosquito could carry a single 4000 lb "Cookie" to Berlin, with just two crew.
The US was working on a 44,000 lb bomb, one is on display @ the Armament Museum @ Eglin AFB. Not sure what would have hauled it...

Back