WWII Quiz - Page 101

--

August 20th, 2006  
Doppleganger

Wanted to grab the 1000th reply but I also have a question.

What unique distinction did units from the German Army Group 'A' under Siegmund Wilhelm von List achieve during the invasion of the Soviet Union?
August 22nd, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Wanted to grab the 1000th reply but I also have a question.

What unique distinction did units from the German Army Group 'A' under Siegmund Wilhelm von List achieve during the invasion of the Soviet Union?
Well this question is a lot harder than it looked, it surprises me that I have nothing on at all on List nor army group A.
August 22nd, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Well this question is a lot harder than it looked, it surprises me that I have nothing on at all on List nor army group A.
Ok a little help. Army Group 'A' was not one of the original Army Groups that marched into the USSR. It was split off from another Army Group and was given seperate objectives. After a while it became subordinate to another Army Group commanded by Erich von Manstein.
--
August 22nd, 2006  
perseus

Army group A was one of the groups that split off into the Caucasus to capture the oilfields, so it probably got the furthest from Berlin or furthest East or something like that.
August 22nd, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
Army group A was one of the groups that split off into the Caucasus to capture the oilfields, so it probably got the furthest from Berlin or furthest East or something like that.
Yes but that isn't the answer I'm looking for.
August 23rd, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Ok a little help. Army Group 'A' was not one of the original Army Groups that marched into the USSR. It was split off from another Army Group and was given seperate objectives. After a while it became subordinate to another Army Group commanded by Erich von Manstein.
Yeah but its the List connection that should be easy and yet isnt as he was not in command of Army Group A for very long (July to early September 1942), he seemed to have a flair for being sacked by Hitler.
As for Army group A it was formed when Army group South was split into Army groups A and B with A taking the south eastern command however I cant find anything on what they achieved as they seem to have been over shadowed by army group B's activities at Stalingrad.

So my guess will be that elements of army group A were the only ones to reach the Caspian Sea.
August 23rd, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Yeah but its the List connection that should be easy and yet isnt as he was not in command of Army Group A for very long (July to early September 1942), he seemed to have a flair for being sacked by Hitler.
As for Army group A it was formed when Army group South was split into Army groups A and B with A taking the south eastern command however I cant find anything on what they achieved as they seem to have been over shadowed by army group B's activities at Stalingrad.

So my guess will be that elements of army group A were the only ones to reach the Caspian Sea.
You're getting a little warmer there Monty but I'm still looking for a little more than that.
August 23rd, 2006  
MontyB

Well you have me beat, reaching the Caspian (as Patrols) seemed to be their most notable achievement, perhaps the capture of Sevastopol althought that was before List took command and I dont think their close proximity to Turkey was notable achievement.
August 23rd, 2006  
Doppleganger

Anyone else wanna have a stab at the answer before I reveal all?
August 23rd, 2006  
MontyB

I am still prepared to have a go at the answer but I am not sure where to start.

I assume this is the campaign we are talking about, if so there is very little that was "unique" in the operation itself and you have already discounted the "furtherest east, south and reaching the Caspian options.