WORST Military Small Arms of the 20th Century - Page 2

--

March 3rd, 2004  
Darkmb101

How very true, most guns of WW2 from Japan were horrible and crude. They had many pieces, hard to fire and reload. made of cheap metal and wooden parts nailed in to hold the gun together.
March 3rd, 2004  
diplomatic_means

no no no not the M3 grease gun. I know what that is I noticed at the bottom of the reising M50 link Redleg gave there is a folding submachine gun called the ARES FMG. what do you guys know about it? Was it any good? where was it used and who used it etc?
March 10th, 2004  
Gunner13

Boy, did I misunderstand! Sorry no idea is not much of an answer, but I am unfamiliar with it. It does look neat though, hmmm.. let's do some research.
--
March 10th, 2004  
Gunner13

Ok, I found quite a bit on the Ares FMG, but none of it was very complementary. According to http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg10-e.htm the
Ares FMG was produced by Ares Defense company in mid-1980s and was not a success. Most of the article discussed the Russian PP-90, which was an abortive attempt to copy the concept (and probably some design ideas) from ARES. The PP-90, in 9x18mm - not 9x19mm NATO, was developed in early 1990s by KBP design bureau in Tula. Both Ares FMG and its PP-90 clone were intended for concealed carry, and folded down to relatively compact, plain looking metal box. When needed, these guns were to be unfolded into ready to fire position in 3 - 4 seconds.

The article goes on to say: I'm not sure about Ares FMG, but the PP-90 became a failure - resulting design was somewhat unreliable and totally uncomfortable. Initially issued to some police and security forces in Russia, this gun now destined to collect dust in farthest corners of the armory rooms, due its terrible ergonomics and poor handling characteristics. Other info I found (www.securityarms.com/20010315)indicates that only a few ARES FMG were ever made and that they suffered the same problems as the PP-90.
March 10th, 2004  
Redneck

It's like the butterfly knife of firearms.
March 10th, 2004  
Popeye

I've read in some accounts that the M3 Grease-Gun had terrible accuracy, and on D-Day from 250 yards away they were missing targets terribly, and many chose to discard them and pick up the rifle.
March 10th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: no wonder

The M3 is a SMG. Ovcours its unaccurate...
March 10th, 2004  
Popeye

Thanks... I didn't know.

Every SMG was inaccurate but this supposedly was very inaccurate according to some vets, and overall they just didn't like it, but I don't know I've never used one.
March 10th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: me niether

I never fired a M3 either. But SMGs are meant as CQB weapons and trench sweepers. they are good for team leaders two. the range for a SMG is 15-60 meters...rifle is up to 200-250
March 10th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I've read in some accounts that the M3 Grease-Gun had terrible accuracy, and on D-Day from 250 yards away they were missing targets terribly, and many chose to discard them and pick up the rifle.
If they were nailing targets at 250 yards consistently with a sub they would have to have been either the world's finest marksmen or the luckiest bastards the world has ever seen.