World War 2 Aircraft purchasing - Page 2

--

October 10th, 2005  
Fox

I'd like to own P-51 Mustang very much.
October 11th, 2005  
masterblaster

the average human cannot afford a P-51 mustang, but, you can build one. There are plans available, if you have the guts and the skill, to build 2/3 or 3/4 scale mustangs. Some even have provisions to use V-8 auto engines. Though not as fast, they look and fly just like the real thing. Most countries allow homebuilts from approved plans. Buy a homebuilders magazine or check out the web.
October 11th, 2005  
Navy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
I'd like to own P-51 Mustang very much.
Yeah my dad's grand father flew a P-51 Mustang.
--
October 11th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

I want a Messerschmitt Me 262. Yup, it was flown by the bad guys. But they do looks so pretty!
October 11th, 2005  
SmallTownHopeful

I'd like to have a ME-109 aka BF-109, the boxy look of the German fighters has an appeal to me. It was also a very nice aircraft. Having a Russian fighter would be cool, also.

The Japanese planes kind of sucked, the only reason they were a threat is because they didn't have any armor, and were fast. In many cases, however, the American fighters were faster than the zero.

I would LOVE to have a spitfire, it's a beautiful aircraft
October 12th, 2005  
Fox

Oh, yeah, Spitfire are beautiful plane.
October 12th, 2005  
UBIQUE

Have a look at www.stormbirds.com very interesting site. They are in the process of re manufacturing 5 ME 262's and restoring a ME 109 and a FW 190.

Cost of aircraft vary on their airworthyness. Zero time airframes cost the most. You might be lucky and find something that belong or was used by some small poor country. I saw a F4U Corsair in a local workshop getting refitted that the owner had picked up from just such a place. It was going to cost him 1mil to have the engine rebuilt and another mil by the time the airframe was up to speed.

Duxford in the UK has a very good collection and the Confederate Air Force in the US also has a very good collection