Will depleted uranium bullets be ever used.

View Poll Results :Would deplete uranium bullets be effective?
yes, its what we need 7 28.00%
no, no its overkill 18 72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

--

June 7th, 2005  
ONERING

Topic: Will depleted uranium bullets be ever used.

I've heard them being made in 25mm, 100mm etc Why not use them if we have them, it could get bad guys cowering behind wars and blow up tanks with a shot. Put them in our xm109 25mm barrett rifles and use them to take care of the Nk.
June 7th, 2005  
behemoth79

Uranium bullets have too many cons for the pros they may offer. They would have to be kept separated and in special containers to prevent exposure. tehy would have to be used with lead jackets which would make them heavier and still wouldnt completely reduce the effects on the soldier. besides AP bullets are commonplace. and if theres a tank too striong for AP bullets, u just call in an A-10 strike. Uranium bullets just wouldnt be good.
June 7th, 2005  
hicks

The Apaches used them in Desert Storm.

It's just too dangerous to use them in every type of weapon. The bullet itself isn't what does the most damage to an indivdual, it's breathing in the powder that is created after impact.
--
June 7th, 2005  
Missileer

DU is no more dangerous than any other heavy metal.

Source:
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q746.html
June 7th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
DU is no more dangerous than any other heavy metal.

Source:
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q746.html
As I mentioned...

"Largely from work with animals along with a few instances in which humans inhaled very large amounts of uranium, the chemical toxicity of uranium is known to produce minor effects on the kidney, which in humans who have suffered large acute exposures have been transitory and wholly reversible."
June 7th, 2005  
Missileer

I have a piece of DU on my desk that was cut from a spike from a LOSAT missile test. Like a lot of metals, machining, grinding, and smelting DU has the possibility of being ingested or inhaled but the quantity would have to be tremendous to cause permanent damage. The outer layer of skin on a person is thick enough to protect one from harmful exposure levels.
June 7th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
I have a piece of DU on my desk that was cut from a spike from a LOSAT missile test.
The LOSAT Missile does not contain any DU. We have been testing the weapon system for 4 years and it has never been mentioned in any of the crewman courses.

You may be thinking of the penetrator rod, which is not made up of DU.
June 7th, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

I think they will be used, but I'm all for railguns myself.
June 8th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Quote:
I have a piece of DU on my desk that was cut from a spike from a LOSAT missile test.
The LOSAT Missile does not contain any DU. We have been testing the weapon system for 4 years and it has never been mentioned in any of the crewman courses.

You may be thinking of the penetrator rod, which is not made up of DU.
In 1999, the concept round used DU, DU with Titanium, and Tungsten. As with most armor penetrators, the rod is sometimes referred to a "mystery metal". I don't know or want to question what is being used now.
June 8th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
In 1999, the concept round used DU, DU with Titanium, and Tungsten. As with most armor penetrators, the rod is sometimes referred to a "mystery metal". I don't know or want to question what is being used now.
The current rounds definitely do not have DU.