Will the battle tank become obsolete?

--

May 3rd, 2006  
SHERMAN

Topic: Is the tank dead?

Many around the world now say that tanks are irrelevent, a relic of the cold war...In Israel there are rumors that the Merkava project was completely scraped....Do you think the tank is at its end?
May 3rd, 2006  
jan-willem Fischer

I don't think the tank is dead, there will always be a need for heavy armour and fire power on the battlefield.
Infantry and air superiority can only do so much.
And do not forget the fear factor, a large roaring hunk of metal speeding toward you would make you think twice.
Those are my two cents.
May 3rd, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

well In my opinion I think it should still be kept and in use.. I mean who knows? it still got its uses
--
May 3rd, 2006  
LeEnfield

The tank will stay with us for the foreseeable future. It is all terrain, carries a heavy gun and is well armoured. Yes it can be hit by missiles but the armour is always changing which adds to it's protection. There again during a conflict is there any thing that can't be destroyed. If you were to get rid of the tank what would you replace it with.
May 3rd, 2006  
Doppleganger

The tank isn't dead. It's just that it's going to evolve, as it's doing already. I mean the modern MBT of today bears little resemblance to the 1916 Mk IV tank right? Tanks are downsizing due to air portable requirements and modern technology making such downsizing possible. I think we're also going to see more unmanned vehicles on the future battlefield - in time tanks will also be unmanned for many purposes.
May 4th, 2006  
moving0target

Imagine how effective the Abrams might be if it didn't have to include space and support for its crew. Manned tanks may be on the way out, but I don't see the armored behemoths exiting the battlefield any time soon.
May 4th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

I think the tank needs to have some type of anti-air armament. I do believe that the tank is still very useful. Working with jet fighters and ground troops, it's still a very viable threat to enemy forces. You can't win a fight with just air, you need ground to sweep in and clear out any stragglers.
May 4th, 2006  
Fox

I believe we should using tank for protection, fighting and etc. For example, the troops needs the tank for take the sniper out or something like that.
May 4th, 2006  
Rabs

Il take 4 appaches over 16 tanks any day.
May 4th, 2006  
moving0target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Il take 4 appaches over 16 tanks any day.
...sorta hard to take and hold ground with air support.