Wie gets another try at PGA's Sony Open

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

MARK NIESSE

Associated Press

HONOLULU - Michelle Wie will try once again to make the cut against the men on the PGA Tour, this time at the Sony Open on her home island of Oahu.
Wie said she doesn't mind that Sony, one of her main sponsors, granted her an exemption Tuesday that allows her to play without having to qualify.
"I like exemptions. It's like somebody says, 'Here, you can have $100,' or I can work for $100," Wie said to laughter at a news conference in Gov. Linda Lingle's Capitol office. "I'm very thankful for Sony for believing in me."
For the 17-year-old Wie, who is entering her second year as a professional, this will be her fourth straight Sony Open. She has failed to make the cut in six tries so far on the PGA Tour.
Wie is still looking for her elusive first professional victory, either by winning a PGA Tour event like the Sony Open or scoring an LPGA victory. The Sony Open will be held at Waialae Country Club from Jan. 8 to Jan. 14.
Meanwhile, Wie said she has fallen victim to "senioritis" during her last year of high school, and she continues to work on all aspects of her game.
"I can't really pinpoint one thing. Obviously if I hit every fairway, every green and make every put, then I'll make the cut," Wie said.
Wie said she hasn't decided what other events she will play in next year, including Hawaii LPGA tournaments like the Fields Open and the SBS Open, where she finished second last year.

Back