Why were British troops slaughtered at Isandlwana - Page 4




 
--
 
December 13th, 2011  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogeemike
No doubt Shaka deserves the credit for forming the Zulu Nation we remember, but I believe that (like Alexander did before him) he inherited the military structure he used. He used it brutally and efficiently but the part about "...no actual fighting" and him racing forward and stabbing an opponent may be more from the movie about him than reality.
This is documented by various historians from spoken tribal history.
I know sometimes fact and film fiction gets mixed up, but the ritual of two opposing armies standing off and trading insults is found in other warrior tribes.
December 14th, 2011  
Trooper1854
 
 
Anyone heard the rumours of a proposed re-make of "ZULU"?
December 14th, 2011  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Anyone heard the rumours of a proposed re-make of "ZULU"?
I haven't heard anything.

I been meaning to watch Zulu Dawn, but I've been told is a total load of rubbish
--
December 14th, 2011  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I haven't heard anything.

I been meaning to watch Zulu Dawn, but I've been told is a total load of rubbish
Zulu Dawn is not that bad a film. Historically more accurate, they used Rorkes Drift to film the crossing but went from Zulu Land to Natal because "It looked better"!
The editting was a bit rushed as the film was impounded by authorities as the company owed money and tried to do a runner.
So to get it in the cinemas for the centeenary of the battle they did a rush on the edit.
Worth a look.
December 14th, 2011  
BritinAfrica
 
 
I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks.
December 14th, 2011  
Trooper1854
 
 
Try here for some more indepth info on the film:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/zulu_dawn.htm
December 15th, 2011  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Try here for some more indepth info on the film:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/zulu_dawn.htm
Thanks mate.

BTW, that's a pretty good site for info on the Anglo-Zulu war
December 15th, 2011  
Del Boy
 
I have heard it that at Rorkes Drift (for example) - Zulus hung the equivalent of snuff boxes from their necks or ears, containing their cannabis with various herbs etc.

Is this your understanding also?
December 15th, 2011  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy
I have heard it that at Rorkes Drift (for example) - Zulus hung the equivalent of snuff boxes from their necks or ears, containing their cannabis with various herbs etc.

Is this your understanding also?
Thats correct. They had hollowed out horns containing what I believed they called "mutu" which was a form of cannabis which they took as snuff.
They were also "medicated" before battle and believed they would be impervious to bullets, but they had a healthy respect for the bayonett!
December 15th, 2011  
Del Boy
 
Thanks Trooper. I was looking at a couple of these containers and wanted to know whether I was listening to myth or truth. Very interesting, these side issues.
 


Similar Topics
British troops could leave Iraq by end of 2006
India and Pakistan
EU lifts Arm embargo to CHina in 6 month
counter? anti?
Rights act 'impossible in Iraq'