Why we speak english at all nation naval conferences
Nevertheless you should start learn more than one language
January 4th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjSRgtLw
Nevertheless you should start learn more than one language
Only one?

In the merchant marine, I learnt a smattering of many languages, but never had the chance to get serious about any of them, which was a great pity. I grew up in an area of Australia where many of the families spoke Plattdeutsche, and had a moderate understanding of the spoken language, but only ever spoke a little.

Besides that, I really liked Italian, Spanish and Japanese, and would have liked to live in those countries long enough to become reasonably proficient. Unfortunately I had to earn my living and never got the chance. It's a bit too late now.
January 4th, 2009  
ObjSRgtLw

learn french and german and the rest is easy to get
--
Why we speak english at all nation naval conferences
January 4th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjSRgtLw
learn french and german and the rest is easy to get
About 20 years ago, I joined a 4WD club and one night we were all around the camp fire talking and having a few wines. Obviously this loosened up my inhibitions a bit, because next morning several of the other members were laughing about the previous night's conversation said that I was holding quite a good conversation in German with several of our German expatriate members for several hours. It must have been quite a night, as I didn't remember much about it.

Similarly I only have to be with my cousin's Japanese wife for a few hours before I find that I can speak a little Japanese again. It's all obviously still in the brain box, but just needs a bit of coaxing to come out.
January 5th, 2009  
A Can of Man

I can relate to that as well.
If someone says "hey, say this in such and such" it doesn't come out very well but if someone starts speaking it and I start hearing it, they start to come back.
January 6th, 2009  
TexasHighlander

I know a smidget of Spanish. Enough to talk to the contractors that are out here at the chemical plants to make them understand me.
January 6th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I can relate to that as well.
If someone says "hey, say this in such and such" it doesn't come out very well but if someone starts speaking it and I start hearing it, they start to come back.
That reminds me of when I was a kid, migration was a big thing in the early 1950s in Australia, and we had every imaginable variety of European migrant at school.

Somehow someone found out that if you asked a Dutch kid to say "888 ovens" in Dutch it used to sound like they were vomiting. We would all fall about laughing while the poor Dutch kid stood there with a confused look on his/her face.

Find a Dutchman with a good strong Dutch accent and try it.

Sorry, Nick, Piet, Thea, Anna and all the others .