why is the US Army replacing the DCU with the ACU?

Easy-8

Desert Camouflage Uniform

us-soldiers-face-murder-charges-for-iraq-killing.jpg

Army Combat Uniform

82nd_iraq.jpg

I don't understand why the Army would wanna replace the DCU with the ACU as the standard uniform for our troops in Iraq. Maybe I am just stupid but I think the DCU is much better than the ACU for desert warfare.

It must have something to do with the fact that most of the activity is taking place in the cities and towns, not in the desert.

we are going to one common uniform that can we worn in any type of combat enviornment. The ACU is lighter, more user friendly, and more durable than the other uniforms.

Unfair. I cannot even count the number of times in Basic we were dropped because some twit, self included, fell out in a winter top and summer bottom or vice versa or later on everyone was in winters and one fool was in his summers. Argh!

The Army expects 95% of all battles in the future will be conducted in the city envirement. That is why we have the ACU.

I have some ACUs, and some older BDU pants, and there is a difference when wearing them,

I also have some DCU pants to, but there are far to big, since I dint get them new.

But, I am kinda cooler, and less weighed down (specially when kinda wet) with the ACUs.

But, as far as field designs, About all I know is that the ACUs digital pattern are meant to disrupt, rather than blend in, so far, I guess it does a good job at staying hidden in the desert.

I have a set of both bdu's and acu's and have found that the acu's give me greater concealment when in the desert here in Co. I gave them my own field test wearing each and trying to sneak up on my girlfriend in the Colorado desert. She reported that it was much harder to spot me in the acu's compaired to the older bdu uniform. And I like the pockets in the acu's better and they are cut differently witch seems to fit me more comfortably as well.

Back