Why Hitler withdrew U-Boats from American waters

--

January 23rd, 2004  
Chris

Topic: Why Hitler withdrew U-Boats from American waters

A German high seas admiral was quoted whn asked why the German Navy withdrew ops off America's coast:

"It was because of those damned little red and yellow airplanes!"

January 23rd, 2004  
Redneck

I take it red and yellow planes belong to CAP?
January 23rd, 2004  
Mark Conley

Topic: CAP is Unique...

According to my little WWII book of facts...the Civil Air Patrol is the only youth oriented organization that can claim a submarine kill...or two.

From the CAP website:

"The CAP coastal patrol flew 24 million miles, found 173 submarines, attacked 57, hit 10 and sank two. By Presidential Executive Order, CAP became an auxiliary of the Army Air Forces in 1943."

A German commander later confirmed that coastal U-boat operations were withdrawn from the United States "because of those damned little red and yellow airplanes."

Well...i had it thrown in my face enough when i was in Boy Scouts...
--
January 23rd, 2004  
Redneck

Civilians with torpedoes, sounds fun.
January 23rd, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Just wait til the day when they attack the mainland. They wont know what war is til that day. YEEEHAAAAA!!!
January 24th, 2004  
Chris

The old planes were red and yellow. Now they're red, white and black.

Yes, they're credited with 2 sub kills.
March 7th, 2004  
Grumpy_monkey

What exactly is the CAP? is it like a youth orientated cadet unit in the states?
May 3rd, 2004  
silent driller

The Civil Air Patrol is the civilian auxiliary of the Air Force. It's primary roles are aerospace education, emergency services and cadet programs(drill teams and whatnot). It is comprised of cadets(from 12-18 or 21)and senior members(18+). I find it quite poof!

Mod edit: Watch your language, you need to behave in a mature and responsible manner while you are on these boards.
May 18th, 2004  
silent driller

Right- sorry! By this time I forgot what I said anyway...
October 1st, 2004  
c/Commander

Yes it's strange how that seems to happen...anyway my NJROTC unit works with CAP cadet units from time to time, and, however displeasurable it may be working with an air force affiliate, they're damn good at what they do.