Why have all Arab-Israeli wars ended in victory for the latter?

--

April 10th, 2011  
Easy-8

Topic: Why have all Arab-Israeli wars ended in victory for the latter?

I was wondering if people think it is because the Arab armies are so bad or if it was because the IDF is just awesome?
April 11th, 2011  
rattler

Logistics would be my take, and in this case that means INTEL, and it means US.

FWIW,

Rattler
April 11th, 2011  
LeEnfield

Well one has every thing to lose, and the other it is the will of Allah
--
April 13th, 2011  
Easy-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Well one has every thing to lose, and the other it is the will of Allah
The question is which is stronger?
April 13th, 2011  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-8
Or more to the point, which has the backing of the strongest ally.
April 13th, 2011  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-8
Hard to say, I would be inclined to place Israel and Egypt on about the same tier but I would not rate the others in the area to highly.

In the past the Arab armies have been typical of the regions thinking (primarily land based conscript armies) better suited to keeping its population in check than engaging an armed, trained enemy.

My father always claimed that Arab armies of the last 60 years have never been good because their motivation for joining was less about defence/duty and more about getting a pair of boots and 3 meals a day.
April 13th, 2011  
Del Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Hard to say, I would be inclined to place Israel and Egypt on about the same tier but I would not rate the others in the area to highly.

In the past the Arab armies have been typical of the regions thinking (primarily land based conscript armies) better suited to keeping its population in check than engaging an armed, trained enemy.

My father always claimed that Arab armies of the last 60 years have never been good because their motivation for joining was less about defence/duty and more about getting a pair of boots and 3 meals a day.
And leaving those boots in the desert to head off back home for a meal. Times have changed somewhat they tell me.
April 14th, 2011  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy
And leaving those boots in the desert to head off back home for a meal. Times have changed somewhat they tell me.
Times have changed but attitudes not so much, remember there hasn't been a full fledges Arab/Israeli war in 30 years and that was not quite as one sided as the previous ones.

Lets face it Syria hasn't changed much in 30 years its military is still preoccupied with maintaining the existing regime, Jordan is too small to really be a deciding power in the region so that leaves Egypt which has modernised but is still really about keeping the people under control more than power projection.

On top of this all three countries have large sections of their population who are poorly educated and impoverished and these guys are generally not motivated by patriotism as much as survival.
April 14th, 2011  
Del Boy

On the basis of your scenario, it sounds like it is time for peace to break out. Now there's a thought.
April 24th, 2011  
AVON

Topic: Re: Why have all Arab-Israeli wars ended in victory for the latter?

I feel the reason the Arab nations opposing Israel have done poorly in combat, is usually a few privilege people who run the country and they aren't there for their people. They buy some weapons which look good on paper but, without effective training the weapons are not effective. So having a military that fights effectively is at best... a secondary consideration.
Many Arab nations have fought Israel in many wars but, in none of the wars can one say these countries formed an effective coalition!! The Yum Kippur War is a great example of Egypt and Syria not working together. Jordan stayed out of the conflict entirely.
As I stated in a posting last month, many coups started with the incumbent leader having his palace bombed by the air force of his country, the air force generals were with the challengers for the leadership of the country. So, having an air force that looked good on paper or parades was all that was really desired by the current leaders. (Similar to Saddam's military.)
Other than PRC/North Korea, during the Korean conflict.... I don't know of another military that used Soviet designed weapons the way they were designed to be used!

In that respect, Israel is different in that its military purchases weapons that are effective, use the weapons the way they were designed and, to train the people to operate these to their optimum. The IDF is also one of the top militaries world-wide that continually strives hard to reduce the amount of casualties.
Israel has one of 'the most' effective intelligence services in the world. The Israeli military is also commanded by smart, aggressive and, imaginative leaders.