Why Does Adoption Cost So @#$%@#$ Much??

--
Boots

March 29th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Topic: Why Does Adoption Cost So @#$%@#$ Much??

My wife and I are one of those lucky couples that, due to medical crap that happened, cannot have children the good old-fashioned way. So we were looking at the options for adopting earlier today and my mind is still reeling from what we find (again we looked into it before too).
This source gives you lovely news: http://www.bucknerinternationaladopt...atemalafee.pdf
The cost for adopting one child? $18,830 - $19,080 based on that site.
This site has a specifc case discussed: http://www.rightonthemoney.org/shows.../show_418.html
adoption.com and adoption.org both give you estimated costs of up to $50,000. So why the hell is it so bloody expensive? It seems like it ought to be pretty straightforward. X biological mother as a child she doesn't want and would like to give away. Couple Y adopt the child. So what the hell costs $20,000+ in that process?
March 29th, 2005  
WarMachine

Probably legal fees and the process of adoption. We live in a country where buying a car costs less than adopting a child, why? Because the beauracracy tends to get convoluted at times and a lot of people get paid for processing files. The average jury trial costs tens of thousands to the state, and prison execution costs are staggering. Just another example of how democracy is inefficient, but works in the long run.
March 29th, 2005  
Charge 7

I believe the costs are much less if you are willing to adopt a child from another country who may or may not be of your race. Don't quote me on that but I think so. I do know a couple here in town that haven't got a heck of a lot of money but they have two Asian kids and one African kid.
--
Boots
March 29th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Well, the next step is that you should try and figure out the breakdown of where all that money is going and try to see how much of that you can cut down on.
March 29th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
I believe the costs are much less if you are willing to adopt a child from another country who may or may not be of your race. Don't quote me on that but I think so. I do know a couple here in town that haven't got a heck of a lot of money but they have two Asian kids and one African kid.
Just to clarify, the $18,830 - $19,080 one I cited was for adopting a child from Guatemala, and that is pretty low on the expenses compared to most other countries. Its pretty much going to cost $10,000 minimum no matter what IF we're talking about a baby under 12 months old.

There is the option of adopting a 4-12 year old kid. That option costs virtually nothing to my understanding, but its hard to say that you're the parent of a child that is completely past the most critical developmental years. I think that its a good thing to do. Those kids need homes too. But are you their parent or is it their biological mother and father who abandonned them at age 6 or whatever? Or is it whichever foster family cared for them for the longest period of time? How much irreparable damage has been done already to them psychologically and develpmentally? What surprises are there going to be?
This sort of adoption is a human version of an animal rescue, sadly enough. Most people getting a dog want a puppy. Most people who want to adopt a child want a baby. You just want it to be yours and only yours, as unaffected by the outside world before you.
Odds are for adopting an older child, you don't even get to participate in such niceties as picking out a name. The kid has a name. It would be mean to try to replace their name. They have a whole lot of life that you can never do anything to affect in any way. It seems to me, when you are a couple with absolutely no prior parenting experience whatsoever, taking a child into your home who may have a long list of emotional, developmental and psychological problems from their past, could be viewed as very irresponsible. That is not saying that they are guaranteed to have problems. Its just very very likely. Kindof makes me think of having someone try their very first videogame ever on the hardest possible setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperingDeath
Well, the next step is that you should try and figure out the breakdown of where all that money is going and try to see how much of that you can cut down on.
The first link offers a pretty good runthrough the specific costs, etc. Its pretty much all in there.

Seems to me there are three types of people when it comes to having a baby:
1.) People who have no problem having children naturally.
2.) People who make $100,000 per year minimum.
3.) People who are just plain SOL.
March 29th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Well, can you give me a rough breakdown on how all the money is being used?
March 29th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Its in a PDF, so I can't copy and paste it. I'll try copying it the hard way though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucker International Adoption Agency
Submitted with Application: $200
Prior to Office Interview: $500
Prior to Training Session (2 day Seminar) $300
After Completion of Study: Installment of $3000
When Dossier is submitted: $1000
(1/2 Attorney Fee is also included when dossier is submitted, see Fees Paid to Others)
When Family matches with a Child: $3000
Prior to Travel (to meet the Child in Guatemala): $3000

Adoption Fees paid to others:
INS Application Fee: $460
INS N-6643 Application (Citizenship After Adoption): $1000
Guatemalan Attourney Fees (Adoption and Processing): $5500
Authentication of Documents: $500 (varies)
DNA Testing Fee (if required): $700
Medical Appointment: $100
US Immigration Visa: $325
Subtotal Paid to Others $8,830

Travel Expenses, etc: $2000-$2250

TOTAL ESTIMATE INCLUDING TRAVEL: $20,830 - $21,080
That is a fairly typical case in point for adopting a child from a foreign country. Guatemala is probably going to be one of the least expensive choices out there.

Your seeing a whole lotta "Hey, these people are completely desperate. They'll pay for anything we tell them they have to pay for!!" going on. Bear in mind that the biological mother in that scenario got nothing but the loss of a child they couldn't provide for.
March 29th, 2005  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
When Family matches with a Child: $3000
What's that if I may ask? ...sounds costly that's why I'm wondering and the explanation is pretty inconclusive...at least to me

you have to pay 3k for when you actually pick up a child from the book? ...or what?
March 29th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Easy question, easy answer: "We found a child for you to adopt from Guatemala!! That'll be $3000 please."

At that stage of the game, you haven't seen the child in person. All that has occurred is that they have found you one. You requested a baby less than 3 months old, for instance. They found you one. If you want to proceed with the process of adopting that child, you gotta fork over the $3000. No doubt, you get to see pictures and things like that, to 'sweeten the deal'.

Getting to see the child in person comes a lot later and after paying a lot more money.
March 29th, 2005  
rOk

These things should be free or almost next to costing nothing...

This is gonna sound naive but I just have to ask...when you eventually fly off to Guatemala (assuming you've paid everything up until then) and when you're there you for some reason don't like the child etc...the money isn't refundable is it? Naive I know