Why did we win WWII?

--

July 27th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

Topic: Why did we win WWII?

I was looking at Mark's question about why we didn't win the Vietnam war. It made me think about WWII. Was it strategy or luck and better timing with technology?

If the military is run anything like where I work then there are too many idiots running things and the higher up the chain the more lazy and unmotivated people become... That old SNAFU word comes to mind...

But then, the enemy must have the same level of incompetence too?
July 27th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Hmmmm..I think it would do it injustice to discuss it shortly but oh well. In case you are intrested, there is a book: WHY THE ALLIES WON, by Richard Overy....Very good book.
July 27th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

Yes, I know its impossible to discuss in three sentences... but I wonder if anyone really truly knows? I would love to read that book. I recently read a book, which my friend has borrowed and I don't remember the name, which goes into the many ways in which we were so stupid during WWII. That book pissed me off, thats why I more or less gave it to my friend.

Can you tell me in any condensed way, what the book presents? Is it a many dimensional and layered explanaition?
--
July 27th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

I think one of the most improtant factors was American industry. We became almost entirely self-suffient, we poured every single little bit of resource into the war effort, and out-produced the enemy. The entire nation was united in her cause, and no one had misconceptions about what we needed to do to win. I saw on a documentary (I believe it was called Inside the Great Battles: Iwo Jima on the History Channel) that Japanese industry produced 2 pounds of equiptment for every Japanese soldier. American industry produced 4 tons for every American soldier.

My 2 cents.
July 27th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

We did come on the scene in the European theatre later then everyone else so that makes sense. However, we did have better technology in Viet Nam, but we didn't have the morale...
July 27th, 2004  
SHERMAN

The ammount of weapons that the USA and USSR preduced were overwhelming. The Stratigic-Bombing damaged the Japanese and German industries and strategy. The Naval controll by the US and UK kept the routs open(though with heavy casualties) to material and troops. Hitler was a poor strategist. There are many causes.
July 27th, 2004  
IrishWizard

The Allies won the war because of pure determination. No matter what was thrown at them they would do whatever it took to win. Russia at Stalingrad, the USA after Pearl Harbor, even the French Resistance using guerrilla warfare to delay German shipments. As Future Ranger said, our industry did play a huge role. Countrys turned from there own comforts of home to pumping out armored tanks and ammo. One thing I loved was the rationing. Many people agree that what ended the war is the dropping of the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I would agree with this, but not completely. Yes it would of been about another year of fighting at the least, and another 1 million dead easily to of invaded Japan. It was said at that time that it would of taken at least a wave of 5 million men to invade the Japan mainland, and at least 1 million men would die in doing so. The Allies won because they were determined as I said earlier. The men who fought, fought with bravery and courage. Nothing more a person could ask for.
July 29th, 2004  
Darkmb101

The reason we won WW2 and not Vietnam, is because had a NEED to win. The fate of the world depended on the out come of WW2. If we had lost all the Jews would be dead, everyone would speak German. Europe would still be controlled by the Nazis. While in the East, Japanese would controll the Pacific, thus everyone there would learn Japanese. And the war would not have ended because resistance forces around the world would try to stop them. (i have an overly active imagination)

Vietnam War, it didnt really matter who one. the world would be safe.
July 29th, 2004  
Mark Conley

hits pretty close to the base Darkmb101. That thing called need versus want explains it very well indeed.

Probably as good an answer you'll get yet lil.
July 29th, 2004  
soldierzhonor

Other factors also include

1. Japanese considered their weapons to be an extension of the warrior so the rifles and pistols used were below par. Even on the Japanese pistol you could push in on the sear from the outside and the weapon would fire.

2. Im sure DDay would have still happened but what if Hitler was awake and transferred his panzer divisions he had in reserve to the Normandy beaches? Could the success have been due to lack of forces on the Germans part?

3. The amount of resources available to the allies as compared to the Germans was staggering also.

4. Another reason could be due to the greed of the Adolf Hitler to break the non aggression pact with the USSR and thus bringing about a front that could have been avoided.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but theres a few of the reasons Im sure, and the NEED is also a great factor.