Where we were when Pearl Harbor was attacked - Page 2

--

December 6th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Oh, okay. I thought the Dauntless was the dive bomber and the avenger was the torpedo plane.
By 44-45 there wasn't a big need for Torpedo Bombers any more. The IJN was pretty much a hollow shell as far as capitol ships go. The TBM Avenger was used in the role of bomber against shore targets in support of landings but could still be outfitted in a torpedo role if needed.

Bush was on a mission against ChiChi Jima's communication station when he was shoot down and was rescued by an American Sub.
December 6th, 2005  
mmarsh

President Bush was a Carrier pilot assigned to the USS San Jancito a Independance class light aircraft carrier. Bush flew the Grumman TBM-3 Avenger torpedo bomber with squadron VT-51. In 1944 while participating on a raid on the Bonin Islands his Avenger was hit by flak, burning and gradually losing control he managed to get away from the Japanese held Island before ordering his crew (Navigator Lt.White, Gunner R2C Deleney) to bail out. Bush was the only survivor, White's parachaute failed and Deleney never escaped the burning Avenger. Bush spent several hours in his raft before being rescued by submarine USS Finback. Upon returning to his squadron Bush would be credited with the destruction of a small Japanese cargo ship. And the end of the war Bush had 3 Air Medals, a Distingushed Flying Cross and a Presidental Unit Citiation.

Bush doesnt talk too much about the war for one simple reason. He said on a interview on A&E that he still sees the faces of White and Deleney in his sleep. He was 19 when they died, so hes had to carry that horrible memory with him since then. The 2nd thing is there is footage of the USS FINBACKS crew fishing Bush out of Pacific, I saw it myself on board USS Intrepid. Its pretty amazing to see.
December 6th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
no... he was rescued by US Navy!
oh wait wait wait... really!?! thought umm..guess memory fails me, u know, we are getting old eh

But i thought he said something about a Japanese soldier that was watching over him... naah, must be in my dream

and yes indeed mmarsh... he has seen horror. He was 19 and a pilot in a bomber.. he aslo says something about the blak falk smoke... poor fella
--