Where can I turn to buy a military Hummer

--

November 5th, 2004  
WarCell

Topic: Where can I turn to buy a military Hummer

I have been hearing that military hummers are not being sold these days.
Will a civilian be able to buy one? Would i have to be in the military to get one? I love hummers, expecially the military models. Witch I am planning to buy one for personal use, not for everyday, but something like a secondary vehicle.
November 5th, 2004  
larsrq

If you are an American I am pretty sure you can't buy one. They are not allowed to be sold to civilians in the USA. They are not allowed to be on US roads as a civilian car. They are not safe enough.
November 5th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Not true. I know you can own them, my cousin in the USA had a former USMC Hummvee.
--
November 5th, 2004  
egoz

check out question 2 you can purchase a hummer, if you have the cash for it. don't think because it's been military surpluss it'll be cheap.
November 13th, 2004  
ltdave

military Humvees differ from the HUMMER (H1 not H2) in only a couple of aspects. things like:

leather interior vs. canvas
glossy paint vs. flat
colors vs. green
some lighting upgrades
stereo upgrades
air conditioning
optional gas engines
no fiberglass 'slant back' hatch

ive seen ex-marine humvees for sale 'as-is' for about $30 grand here in michigan. the new civilian Hummers (H1 not the H2) run about 3-5 times that depending on options...

david
November 13th, 2004  
egoz

there's a few more differences between the two actually.
http://media.gm.com/events/sema/sema...g%20Humvee.htm
http://www.humvee.net/hid/general/humvee.html
November 13th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Topic: Re: Where can I turn to buy a military Hummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCell
I have been hearing that military hummers are not being sold these days.
Will a civilian be able to buy one? Would i have to be in the military to get one? I love hummers, expecially the military models. Witch I am planning to buy one for personal use, not for everyday, but something like a secondary vehicle.
maybe from the military?
November 13th, 2004  
ltdave

egoz...

yes you are right but based on the question in the first post, it certainly sounded like the posted didnt know squat about them...

i dont know, maybe it was the part about joining the military would give him the opportunity to buy a military Humvee for a second vehicle...

david
November 13th, 2004  
AussieNick

I found a restored ex-desert storm humvee for $80,000 AUD here in South Australia. It had been completely stripped and restored, engine rebuilt, all mil-spec gear. Everything taken into account, $80grand isn't too bad here in Aus for a car like that, since you might pay up to $50,000 for a top of the range toyota hilux.
November 17th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdave
egoz...

yes you are right but based on the question in the first post, it certainly sounded like the posted didnt know squat about them...

i dont know, maybe it was the part about joining the military would give him the opportunity to buy a military Humvee for a second vehicle...

david
i didn't mean to undermine you, i just wanted to point out the differences for those a little more aware or curious.

i don't know if i could handle a hummer, i could probably settle for something like a Land Rover Defender because it'll be more practical for civilian use.