Whats your favorite military book/novel? - Page 8

--
Boots

June 4th, 2004  
random

guns up is by far the best book i have read.....it is about a machine gunners tour in vietnam..great book...great great book.
June 4th, 2004  
Rotty261

I would have to agree with everyone that mentioned 'We Were Soldiers Once and Young' The movie was great but the book had so much more detail and continued on from from where the movie stopped.
June 11th, 2004  
soldierzhonor

Red Thrust:
Attack on the Central Front Soviet Tactics and Capabilities in the 1990s
by Stephen J. Zaloga
--
Boots
July 1st, 2004  
Sir.SnipeAlot

Topic: Favorite book?

My Opinion Is that Tom Clancys Fiction And Non fiction are the best, very detailed, hard to put down his books in the middle of a mission.
I reccomend his books to anyone and everyone!
July 4th, 2004  
Lilmissflamethrower

Topic: My favorites...

On Killing by Lt. Dave Grossman about the psychology of soliders in war..are we really killers or is it a trained or learned thing?

Nam... a compilation of experiences from different soldiers...

All Quiet on the Western Front - a WWI fiction about a German soldier
July 4th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book which pits the US against another national in a full scale war (in modern times)? I read [/i]Red Phoenix[/i] but that was just more a thriller type. Thanks.
March 2nd, 2005  
BoonieRat

Well, there are a few:

"The Ten Thousand" and "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle
"Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy
"Arc Light" and "Protect & Defend" by Eric L. Harry
"Cauldron" by Larry Bond
"The 13th Valley" by Jon M. Delvecchio (great novel about the 101st Airborne in Vietnam 1970!)

but my utmost favourite 2:
"The Third World War - August 1985" and "The Third World War - The Untold Story" by the British general Sir John Hackett. These two novels describe in a documentary kind of way a fictious Warschau pact - NATO WW3 happening in 1985 with such agonizingly, frighteningly realism, that it gave me the shivers reading it, and made me VERY thankful that this war never actually happened. I'd say that EVERY politician in ANY country having anything to say about Defense budget should first read these two books before even thinking about a nuclear program.
Funny fact is, that "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle is based upon the European war theatre described in these books.

If you're interested in ordering: the ISBN number of "August 1985" is
0-425-04477-7, I don't have a copy of "The untold story" so no ISBN for that book, sorry.
March 2nd, 2005  
Charge 7

"Company Commander" by Charles B. MacDonald and told in the first person.
March 2nd, 2005  
Roldwin

A bridge too far - Cornelius ryan
Rommel memories - Rommel
Rommel, the desert fox - David Frasier
March 3rd, 2005  
IAmFighter

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, Debt of Honor, and Bear and the Dragon
Dale Brown's Fatal Terrain, Battle Born, Wings of Fire, Air Battle Force and Plan of Attack