What Would the World Be Like if Germany Had Won World War 1? - Page 2

--

November 18th, 2004  
Hegario

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
One thing on Austria-Hungary -- their armed forces saw a higher overall percentage lost/destroyed than any other participant in WW1 ... so they didn't fare too well in battle. They saw little success on any front other than the Italian front, and they saw several catastrophes. But still, its conceivable that victory might have prolonged the inevitable. Eventially they'd have fallen appart, but perhaps not as soon. The Ottoman Empire was in similar
But they still fared rather well considering the circumstances and their overall poor leadership. With German leadership they usually were equally good. During the war the Austro-Hungarians had fronts in the Alps, Ukraine, Serbia and Rumania. Given that Austria-Hungary lost most of its professional standing army during the first year of the war against Serbia and Russia, the success they had with their multi-ethnic conscripts later on was almost remarkable in my opinion. In fact both of the central powers fared remarkably well considering that they held back both western and eastern european powers. Sure there were setbacks like the Brusilov offensive but despite its internal problems, Austria-Hungary went down fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I think that Germany definitely was interested in Eastward expansion of its Empire, but regardless of what direction they had taken, their sphere of influence would have been greatly expanded. Hard to say what they keep and what they don't.
Like I hinted before, the nation of Poland would probably never have been borne.