What Went Wrong - Page 2

--

September 8th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Yes, I can understand Rome being slow to change, especially because of the financial ruin and lack of strong leader. Gladius, is this series going In chronological order? I saw one show On Alaxander's conquests about a month and a half ago...Hope they release the First Season on DVD!

Anyway, feel free (anyone) to nominate another battle and explain your views on It on the basis of the model presented!
September 8th, 2004  
gladius

I'm buying it if it goes on DVD.

I don't think its in Chronological order since the first battle was Cannea, and then they showed Marathon after Alexander's (Gaugamela), which happened before of course.
September 8th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
Too bad you don't have the History Channel, I'll let you know how it happens though.

They showed Chalon a couple of weeks ago.

Last week they showed Carrhea, the Romans got massacred, it was painful to watch since I'm partial to the Romans (I see them as having spread civilization). It was the one were the invaded Parthia and lost 7 legions in the desert to horse archers.

The battle of Marathon was one of the best ones I saw.

...To add to the question "Why do you think the Roman Army did not get the message after Adrionople..."

My oppinion is,... added to what already been said, Armies tend to be slow to change, especially ones steeped in victory and tradition. It takes wilful and charismatic leaders with the rigth opportunity, which in combination don't come very often, to ensure the changes.
Do you know if they use the Total War engine? For those of you who are not gamers, the third in an excellent series of real time wargames is coming soon to the PC, called Rome:Total War. If you are into taking control of ancient forces in real-time 3D graphics and seeing if you can do better than history's greatest commanders you will WANT to get it.

BTW, I also agree that it takes a huge shift for armies to change and politics, lack of resources, infighting, self interest and other reasons all ensured that Rome did not learn from the 'ass-kicking' she got in this battle.
--
September 10th, 2004  
gladius

I saw picture of the game it looks pretty cool, I don't think its out yet.

I demo'd a game called Spartan, it had nice battles in it too, but in a smaller scale than Total War.
September 17th, 2004  
gladius

I saw the "Decisive Battles" episode of Adrianople, pretty much happened as described here except with alot better graphics and moving pictures.

A lot more detailed too. They read excerpts from the Roman historian who was caught up in the middle of the battle, on how the dust was so thick you could barley see and that arrows would land and kill your fellows around you. It was pretty grim they knew they were surrounded, but they still kept fighting, not to mention they were hungry and tired and thirsty.