What Violent Videogames do to Children

chronoserpent

(i know there's another thread on this, but I have a specific thing I want to share)

We all know about the debate on whether violent videogames make players violent too. But there seems to be little scientific evidence backing up either side.

As a gamer myself, i say that games in the long term affect me little if at all, but here's an example where videogaming can go horribly wrong if taken a bit too far:

Disturbed German Kid

Last edited:
Personally i don't think that violent games make kids violent, but I do think that they reinforce unrealistic expectations and behaviour patterns on kids who do not have a very good grip on reality. Let's face it, kids are often dreamers, whether it be to own a Porsche Carrera, or play major league sport.

If this is not all just a setup for YouTube, which I reckon it is. Two things can be ascertained from this movie,

(1) The kid is a good candidate for electroshock therapy or full frontal lobotomy.

(2) They make really good keyboards in Germany.

Did you notice that he vented all of his frustration on that crappy $5 keyboard and never once directer his anger at the monitor. It's a setup.

it's bull. I play it all the time, it's how i RID my anger.

and these people can't differ fiction from reality. They deserve a mental hospital.

I don't think violent games (or any media for that matter) affects your mind unless you play them in massive doses, or are on drugs. Kids like the one in the video are great fun to shoot in multiplayer games, especially when you hear them yelling over the voicecomm.

This video looks a bit fake to me, though. If you look at his hand movements it doesn't really look like he's playing a game, or at least not trying very hard...

When I was a lad I can remember Radio Programmes that were removed for being to violent, yet we could sit on our door step and watch men fight to death in skies above us. Like all these things I feel that all these sort of things just make a good excuse to cover up their own shortfalls in their behaviour after they have been caught doing some thing they shouldn't have been doing

A person usually knows what kind of game they're looking for when they go out and purchase one.

Hm, that video looks a bit fake to me, even if it's a tiny bit disturbing.... :shock:

I was nine years old and playing Grand Theft Auto. And would talk about it at the lunch table the next day at school. But, I never had urges, or rage attacks, were I wanted to steal a car or something. I think it has more to do with your surroundings, or your childhood than video games. But there are many parents and others out there that would eat it up if video games did contribute to psychological problems.

When sit down on the weekends and play a shoot um up game I don't get mad, more or less scared sometimes, you get so far on a hard difficulty that your terrified to die!

Last edited:
Back