What you think...

Private Shadow

Everyone thinks im crazy for joining the Army when i get out of HS. Im just getting pulled in two directions. What do you guys think i should do?

Tell "everyone" to go back to hippieland.

Just kidding :lol: .

If you really want to be in the military, go for it, it can't hurt you, and nobody is going to force you to re-up if you find it's not for you.
That being said, no one can make the decision for you, and it's hard to even advise someone on what you think is best for them without knowing them and their options pretty well.

But good luck with whatever you decide, if you get any specific questions, we have all kinds of experience here to help you out.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I want to join right out of HS as well, and i'm tryin' for Ranger too. Why do you want to be a Ranger? Have you thought about it much?

I agree with RnderSafe. If u go into the military right after highschool, u will miss out on alot of experiences. Read my sig.

Go in the Marines, not trying to toot their horn or anything but they need a "few good men". Armys got too much any way ;) . I heard somewhere that the Rangers have the same school as the Marines but a higher drop-out rate. Hmmmm i dont know. Anyway, I think its very brave and noble to die for your country. its to me the "best" sacrifice. Tell all the people who are against you, ask them if they have a Kerry rally to go to. Of course, they probably dont know who thats is but hey...

Dude, I have been in the Army 11 years, and I plan to retire at 20. I joined right after High School, and I don't regret a day of it. Some of the friends you make in the Army, you will have for life. Some of the things you will experience, and the places you see, will color your viewpoint on things until the day that you die. But you will be a better person and a better citizen by experiencing them.

To agree with RnderSafe, don't concentrate on dying. General Patton said that no one ever won any wars by dying for his country. They won them by making the other poor son of a b*itch die for his.

On another note, does anyone realize that being deployed in Iraq (yes, I am, thank you), you have a less than 0.5% chance of getting killed. Those are pretty RIGHTEOUS odds, if you ask ME! But listening to John Kerry, you would think you'd would have better than a 50% chance of coming home in a box. What's up with THAT?

Back to the subject: Dude, take it from someone that was in your position 11+ years ago. Don't worry about what anyone else tries to drill in your head (to include your recruiter). Ultimately, YOU'RE the one that raises your hand and gets sworn in. To hell what anyone else thinks.

My motto? "Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. ESPECIALLY when no one is looking..."

Darkmb101 said:
If u go into the military right after highschool, u will miss out on alot of experiences. Read my sig.

Not necessarily. He'll have plenty of experiences while in the military. In fact, much of the same ones most college lads get .. he'll just have more money and females to do it with. But the military will give you opportunities you will NOT have in civilian life. If it's in your heart to do it, do it .. bugger what anyone else says. Ultimately, it is your life, and you are the only one that will have to answer for the decisions you make later.

SemperFi! said:
. I heard somewhere that the Rangers have the same school as the Marines but a higher drop-out rate.

If you're talking about Ranger school, the USMC doesn't have anything equivalent to it. It's a kick in the gut leadership school, and the USMC sends Marines there, depending on their MOS and if the Corps feels it is a necessity for them.

I'm curious as to what your experiences are as to hand out advice and knowledge? There is enough bad information floating around out there, if you don't know .. don't state it, it only clouds the accurate information.

I am not saying civilian lifestyle is better or anything. But wouldn't u, Private Shadow, prefer to go to of military academy after highschool? If u do u can make a lot of mistakes and not cost anyone's life. After graduating u would have more experience in the military field. Also, the ladies would brag and say,"My man went to ... and is a soldier."

The choice is yours Private Shadow; this is just my opinion.

But wouldn't u, Private Shadow, prefer to go to of military academy after highschool? If u do u can make a lot of mistakes and not cost anyone's life. After graduating u would have more experience in the military field.

How very incorrect this assumption is. Butter bars (LTs) are no more experienced than a green PVT. The military will teach each what they need to know. Four years at a military institution may give you some training, but it will NOT prepare you for the real world of military life. Period.

Also, the ladies would brag and say,"My man went to ... and is a soldier."

Military service is not about what the "ladies will say."

im just piggy backing on:
he'll just have more money and females to do it with.

Of course the military is NOT about wat the ladies say. Point of fact I didnt say u would be ready for the military life if u go to a military school, but have a better clue of what to expect.

RnderSafe said:
Military service is not about what the "ladies will say."

It's not, Sir? Then why the heck did I sign on the dotted line. Dang recruiting officer lied to me. :lol:

But on a serious note, neither myself nor any of my fellow MSIV cadets here (many of whom will receive their commissions within the next three months) hold any illusions about our "experience" and its worth in real-world situations, but our training is (as the training of the junior enlisted is) designed to give us a basis upon which to build.
I believe that the ONLY way to be prepared for such real-world situations is real-world experience, and no schooling can substitute for that.
This is based mostly off of the experience of growing up in a very small town full of retired NCOs. :lol:

I believe that the ONLY way to be prepared for such real-world situations is real-world experience, and no schooling can substitute for that.

That's correct, and listening to your NCOs .. unless they suck, then go and find another one to teach you. They are the best the Army has to offer, and can teach a young butter bar many things.

This is based mostly off of the experience of growing up in a very small town full of retired NCOs.

Your training began early then. :lol:

It's not, Sir? Then why the heck did I sign on the dotted line. Dang recruiting officer lied to me.

Eh, don't worry about it. Now that the Army has given everyone the Black beret, every woman thinks she's getting a commando. :lol:

Back on topic, for the young buck that was asking. Follow your head and your heart. Enlisted is a different world from Officer. Each have something to offer, talk to a recruiter, find out your options. And remember, never sign the contract until you are happy and 100% sure you've gotten what you want. It's your life, not the recruiter's.

Back