What technologies or ideas rewrote the book of war? - Page 4

--

November 4th, 2004  
AussieNick

No particular order.
1.The Phalanx.
2.First using steel instead of iron to make swords (eg. didn't blunten during battle)
3.The nuclear weapon (man's most destructive, and possibly most feared weapon)
4.The tactic of seige warfare.
November 4th, 2004  
Doppleganger

The big ones were the Phalanx, Cavalry, Airpower, Gunpowder, the Machine Gun, the Longbow, the Crossbow, the Tank/Blitzkrieg, Nuclear weapons, Ironclads, the Self-Loading Rifle. There's more I'm sure but those are the ones off the top of my head.
November 4th, 2004  
egoz

don't think anyone has mentioned stealth yet.
--
November 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Perhaps stealth isn't mentioned because its always existed ... or at least its invention is far too old to be remembered. Hunters and warriors have always relied on stealth to some degree.
November 4th, 2004  
egoz

ok, so i guess stealth isn't a technology per se, i guess more of a means of achieving an advantage tactically and strategically.

so i'll try again, helicopters? submarine? satellites?
July 13th, 2009  
samarai

During the Civil War - as many as 40% of some of the armies in the field suffered from VD. Think about how that not affected the battles at the time, but also the civilian populace.

Bill in Texas
July 13th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

In my view, the greatest change to the way we fight war was the creation of the plane. Perhaps Nuclear war aswell.
July 13th, 2009  
perseus

The introduction of mobility in the offence relative to the defence resulted in profound changes and effectiveness of military formations and armies. eg.

Mongol armies utilising cavalry, Germans using Mobile armoured divisions supported by airpower, American's using helicopter in non-frontal warfare, Adolphus using mobile artillery on the battlefield,
Quote:
but instead over a course of experimentation settled on smaller, more manoeuvrable weapons, in effect fielding the first light field artillery in history in any significant ratios.
These were grouped in batteries supporting his more linearly deployed formations, replacing the cumbersome and unmaneuverable traditional deep squares
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavu...phus_of_Sweden

and when the mobility of the defence became greater than the offence in the 1st world war due to the railways this resulted in a largely static front.
July 13th, 2009  
George

CSS Virginia was not a great leap in technology. As stated before steam & iron cladding was already in use, & the casemate layout isn't much different than ships of the Age of fighting sail. The USS Monitor on the other hand intro'd the revolving gun turret. All the following designs up through Yamato would be traceable back to the Monitor.
July 14th, 2009  
LeEnfield

Each era has gone through changes which have made vast changes on the battlefield.
The saddle for a horse gave the rider a chance to use a lance.
Various improvement in the Bow made a lot of changes
Gunpowder and the development of fire arms and cannons, and artillery
The Tank
Aircraft and their improvements over the years
Then there is sea warfare and how that has changed over the years, all have had an impact on the Battlefield