What was the most one-sided battle in history? - Page 4

--

October 26th, 2004  
rocco

6 day war and both gulf wars if you wanna talk recent
November 4th, 2004  
AussieNick

This is very small scale, but an example of the Australians in action. The battle of Long Tan in Viet Nam. 18th of August 1966
Basic rundown was the Australians were surrounded by a superior force, and kept that at bay for nearly 24 hours (i think) before reinforcement could be provided.

"D company was composed of 108 men of which 18 were killed and 24 were wounded. After the VC retreat, a search of the jungle discovered 245 VC bodies. Questioning of prisoners ascertained that the offensive force comprised the Viet Cong 275 regiment and the D445 Battalion. A total force of 2500 men"

As I say, this isn't a "big" battle in the conventional sense, but they were in a bad place, and in a bad way, out numbered and out gunned.
November 5th, 2004  
BigBert96

Go Aussies!
--
November 29th, 2004  
blight45

Based on one sidedness of the action. My vote is Pearl Harbor.

While reading up on this I couldn't find a number for Japanese casualties.
Would any of you historians happen to have this number handy, TIA
November 29th, 2004  
redcoat

My favourite
1941 Britain v Italy

The British counter-attack on the Italian forces which had attacked Egypt, ending in the battle of Brada Fomm
A force of 50,000 British Commonwealth troops defeated an Italian army of 250,000, capturing 130,000 troops, 845 field guns, 380 tanks for a loss of under 2000 men.
December 15th, 2004  
WorldWatcher

Didn't all the japanese pilots die at Pearl Habor?I thought it was a suicide mission because if they survived they still didnt have enough fuel to get back.-shrugs- I could be completely wrong
December 15th, 2004  
Big_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWatcher
Didn't all the japanese pilots die at Pearl Habor?I thought it was a suicide mission because if they survived they still didnt have enough fuel to get back.-shrugs- I could be completely wrong
Lol no, Japan didnt start using kamikaze tactics until the end of the war. Stick around WorldWatcher, there is allot to learn here.
December 16th, 2004  
Locke

um, i would have to say that IMO, the Six day war was one of the most on sided. especially in terms are ariell 9?) warfare, where the Israelis airforce obliterated the combined Arabic AF in the first day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
December 16th, 2004  
swordrapier

Agincourt get my vote for the most onesided battle in history.

Sick and starving the English were headed to Callis (sorry can't spell in french) and then home. At Agincourt they encountered an overwhelming French force bent on capturing Herny V and ransoming him to England. The French were crushed.
December 16th, 2004  
beardo

Agincourt was an amazing victory

what about the famous ''Bravo Two Zero'' SAS patrol in the 1st Gulf War...

8 SAS sent out to recce a supply route and blow up a communications line, ended up being compromised and having to retreat 200 miles. During this retreat they came upon fire and had to take out APC's and dodge 57mm AAA rounds. 3 were killed, 4 were captured, 1 escaped. During the mission they got 250 confirmed kills