What MOS' are the most needed today?

JamesK

I was originally planning to be a tanker but I had to get a waver authorized and had a phone interview with a Lt. Col. He told me that I would have a better chance of it being authorized if I could tell him I would consider the positions that are most needed at this point and time so he could write that on his interview. Does anyone have any idea what these would be in the Army at this point and time?

All i can tell you is to find a list of enlistment bonuses, and the MOS' with the higher bonus are more in demand.

I was originally planning to be a tanker but I had to get a waver authorized and had a phone interview with a Lt. Col. He told me that I would have a better chance of it being authorized if I could tell him I would consider the positions that are most needed at this point and time so he could write that on his interview. Does anyone have any idea what these would be in the Army at this point and time?

Well check with your recruiters, but like Rise said the ones with higher bonuses are the ones more needed.

Infantry are always needed.

Definitely Infantry.
It also depends on which branch you decide you want to be in. I would say also medical field but if you want to be a marine your going to be disappointed when you find out the Navy is our medical personnel. Lawyers are always welcome, if your smart enough, they will help you out with scholarships too. If your young, you might want to get the macho stuff in first, then as you get to be an old fart, try to find something you like where you don't have to do the young person work no more.

Definitely Infantry.
It also depends on which branch you decide you want to be in. I would say also medical field but if you want to be a marine your going to be disappointed when you find out the Navy is our medical personnel. Lawyers are always welcome, if your smart enough, they will help you out with scholarships too. If your young, you might want to get the macho stuff in first, then as you get to be an old fart, try to find something you like where you don't have to do the young person work no more.

:smile: Is all I have to say.

I believe the top 3 right now are Infantry, Field Artillery and Patriot Missile Fire Controller. One of my co-workers just went with the last option, $40,000 enlistment bonus to hit a button. That's triple what I'm getting from the Navy. Infantry is probably the highest demand right now, might want to check out MP's if you really, really want to enlist, but those two MOS' are being sent into the most dangerous areas of Baghdad right now.

For myself, I could not get a waiver from the Army, Air Force or the Marines but the Navy gave me a waiver with almost no problem.

Well its been authorized. Im going to the place where I got my physical and everything and Im signing my contract in 5 days. Then ASAP im leaving this place and never looking back. I think the field artillery sounds good.

Field Arty? I heard those folks are out doing infantry jobs minus the infantry training. Hope it ain't too true. Good luck.

Field Arty? I heard those folks are out doing infantry jobs minus the infantry training. Hope it ain't too true. Good luck.

Yeah that doesnt sound like a good idea of kicking in doors and assaulting houses without the proper training or with people who dont have the proper the training, the later of the two being more disturbing. My jobs are kind of restricted because of my juvenile record so I cant get security clearance for pretty much anything. I got an 87 on my ASVAB(Might be low to you but you should of saw my friends scores) though and the only thing I wasnt qualifyed for was the Satellite Communications thing. I dont really know what I would want to do though.

What exactly is in your juvie record? If you do a good job, stay out of trouble and develop a positive reputation, some of it can be fixed through that alone depending on whats in your juvie record and how old you were when you did the bad stuff.

I know that happened with a unit from the Kansas National Guard but I am not sure if that has happened with the regular Army. Because of arm twisting on the part of Congress the Army is having to really bend the rules to tackle the mission they have been assigned.

The majority of Congress, unless they are Veterans, should keep their mouth shut for the most part in regards to military affairs.

What exactly is in your juvie record? If you do a good job, stay out of trouble and develop a positive reputation, some of it can be fixed through that alone depending on whats in your juvie record and how old you were when you did the bad stuff.

Well I was 15, and 16 for most of the charges, but I have one or two for internal possession(alchohol) which we payed fines for when I was 18. I have a felony for something very stupid which I had to explain but I pleaded guilty and they turned it into a misdemeanor(Something stupid from when I was young that my friend turned me in for when he was the one that actually did the illegal part). The others are from a whole bunch of other minor things, nothing violent but since my ma use to shove pills down my throat when I was a young teen which said I was taking anti-psychotics they decided to put on the thing that shows up in the cruiser in bold lettering right below my name "CAUTION" which doesnt look good. I do have a bunch of cases of my parents having me brought into protective custody when I was underage for leaving when they told me to stay home too. The fact that almost all my friends probably 17/20 are in jail right now except for me and my boy I think says I was smarter then the kids who I kind of let lead me into doing most of the illegal activitys. Somebody it might of been my recruiter told me that they may wipe my record if I keep my nose clean and do my job after my first 4 years

Well, even if they say they will wipe your record, thats never truly the case. However, if you do a good job, stay out of any and all trouble, you can have a successful adulthood and folks will give you the benefit of the doubt the longer you do a good job, stay out of trouble and the more time that goes by from your teen years. Get in any trouble as an adult though and your pretty much done, nobody will want to take a chance on you. Now, you can kind of get away with it as time goes on because you were a kid when you got your record but if you do anything as an adult, the rest of your record might as well have been done now in your adult years because then it will effect you the same.
Good luck, stay strong (minded) and choose your company wisely. If your noticing a friend, or so called friend you have being a dirt bag, you gotta think about your future and sever ties with that person ASAP for your sake. This may take a kind of strength you may not be used to at this point your life but that's the type of thing you have to do to keep your background clean and fix your official reputation.

Last edited:
Well, even if they say they will wipe your record, thats never truly the case. However, if you do a good job, stay out of any and all trouble, you can have a successful adulthood and folks will give you the benefit of the doubt the longer you do a good job, stay out of trouble and the more time that goes by from your teen years. Get in any trouble as an adult though and your pretty much done, nobody will want to take a chance on you. Now, you can kind of get away with it as time goes on because you were a kid when you got your record but if you do anything as an adult, the rest of your record might as well have been done now in your adult years because then it will effect you the same.
Good luck, stay strong (minded) and choose your company wisely. If your noticing a friend, or so called friend you have being a dirt bag, you gotta think about your future and sever ties with that person ASAP for your sake. This may take a kind of strength you may not be used to at this point your life but that's the type of thing you have to do to keep your background clean and fix your official reputation.

The thing I just dont understand is the older the people are they dont give me one inch of leeway before they judge me saying that I will never make it. Im better off now then Ive been since I was 13 and for the first time in a very long time my father is proud of me because I've focused my mind on a goal and I want to achieve it. Most of my family has been in the military with the exception of the father. Only reason being so his father who served in the 100th division in the artillery who ranked sergeant(In WWII) told him to stay out of vietnam and finish college. I've never been this motivated towards something that will do good since I was probably 13 or 14. I just wish people wouldnt judge me on what I did or the stupid things I usually was being lead into as a young teen because thats not who I am or what I stand for. I may have a dry sense of humor and a bad temper but I'm not a criminal and Im not a bad person.

Jim, you do realize that your impressions here alone comes off ass aggressive don't you? If you conducted yourself to me like you did to Wolfen on the other thread but in real life when I was a cop, I might have felt that you were about to attack me and I would have at least right off the bat then been tempted to reach for my OC depending on what else you did. If what your saying is true, Jim, give folks a chance to judge you the way you want them to judge you. If your coming at them so aggressive this is not going to get you the results you want, ever. When you aggressive, you get aggressive in return. When your patient, you get patience in return, really neat how that works, you ought to try it and see how it works for you.

Jim, you do realize that your impressions here alone comes off ass aggressive don't you? If you conducted yourself to me like you did to Wolfen on the other thread but in real life when I was a cop, I might have felt that you were about to attack me and I would have at least right off the bat then been tempted to reach for my OC depending on what else you did. If what your saying is true, Jim, give folks a chance to judge you the way you want them to judge you. If your coming at them so aggressive this is not going to get you the results you want, ever. When you aggressive, you get aggressive in return. When your patient, you get patience in return, really neat how that works, you ought to try it and see how it works for you.

Yes I know. Im certainly a different person in real life although I am known to have a temper that will flare up quickly if you hit the right nerve. I'll try to be less aggressive when posting here if I'm allowed to anymore.

Well, I would suggest you fix your agressive post to Wolfen, maybe apologize in an IM and also truly strive for the less agressive approach in your life, not just here on the forum or your clean adult record will not stay that way. If you go in the military, I doubt you want to spend your time in the brig. C'mon Jim, get counseling if you need to but do something to fix yourself.

Back