What if the Soviets were defeated? - Page 2

--

February 8th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Hmm half the world under Stalin or the whole world under Hitler and Hirohito nah I think it ended just fine.
If Stalin had been defeated we wouldn't have the communist clap trap in Africa we have now.
February 8th, 2012  
LeEnfield

With out a long range heavy bomber, Hitler was not going to win the war. When Stalin moved all the factories back out of range of the German Airforce, the weapons rolled endlessly of the production lines, lets face it the produced more T34 than Sherman's and they kept upgrading them. Also it had galvanised the whole of the Russian Nation by then and who fought bravely for there country.
February 9th, 2012  
Marcelo Jenisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Hmm half the world under Stalin or the whole world under Hitler and Hirohito nah I think it ended just fine.
No fewer in the OKW warned Hitler the resources of Russia could only be put to effect quickly if captured intact, which was very unlikely, and this was probably considerated already thinking in the Americans. This is why I'm skeptical that a victory over Stalin would result in a victory or peace treaty with the Western Allies. Actually, a military victory against the Soviets to win against the other Allies, if not obtained in a lighting war 1941 like the Fuher expected, would be very unlikely to happen later. And realistically, the only possibility would be a peace treaty with the Soviets in '41, because the German logistics proved to be inadequate to defeat the Soviets in the battlefield '41 and 42. But unfornately, this is a paradox, because Hitler was obcessed with Lebensraum, and if Stalin asked him peace, he would be even more determinate to continue the campaign like historically, and would likely end defeated anyway.

In my view, Hitler's plan to wage war in the East without the West was the best option, but unfornately for him Britain and France put him off the tracks when they declared war in '39 and leave no back door in case the things went wrong in Russia. The WWII history lesson is to never underestimate your enemies, and not let the list of them grow when you don't know what they were capable of. Sounds logistical, but for Hitler and his ideas it wasn't.
--