What if Hitler had nuclear weapons? - Page 3

--

June 23rd, 2011  
r.fox

if the germans had A bomb(S) and used them at the right time and places eg the yalta conference, Moscow, London, New York, then i think that we all be specking German right now.
June 23rd, 2011  
tazjet

What the Nazis developed were what we today call tactical nukes. In fact the design of tactical nukes is based directly from the Nazi patents of Schumann and Trinks in 1942. They had yields of about 0,5 kilotons. Warheads weighed 4kg. According to a former Nazi scientist named Lachner only 15 were built.

They utilised deuteron beams generated by smashing Lithium into Deuterium with hollow charge explosives. This was sufficient to release a flash of neutrons which ignited a small quantity of fissile Uranium. In the 1950s this became the basis for tactical nukes fired from Artillery guns.

The truth is Hitler had greater reason to fear retaliation by Anthrax.

The Western Allies kept him engaged with a secret surrender dialogue which was concealed from the Soviets and forms the grounds for ongoing secrecy.
June 23rd, 2011  
MontyB

Yeah I am going to go with conventional belief here and say that Germany did not have functioning atomic weaponry because if they had the Russians would have known about it first hand.

Further to this it is widely believed that the Allies were already using chemical agents during WW2 in the form of tear gas so there really was no reason for Germany to restrain its war efforts due to supposed threats from Churchill or anyone else.

Also given the conditions on the ground in late 1944-early 1945 there is no way the Allies would have used something like Anthrax on territory they would have been expecting to advance over in a very short space of time.
--
June 23rd, 2011  
headwards

Hmm I would be very interested to know what your sources are and hear the explanations as to why Hitler wouldn't have attempted at the least a last strike if he could. He did after all destroy Germany by refusing to surrender to his last breath.
June 23rd, 2011  
headwards

Uhh you need a critical mass for a nuclear explosion. Is 4kg enough? I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty ready to call b******t.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass
Wikipedia tells me no with all present known radioactive isotopes.
from memory they had U-235 back then for american bombs right? So Nazis were probably not more advanced. Well they needed 52 kgs of that then add the tnt to actually shove the critical mass together. Thats a huge ass artillery shell.
I feel like no way did nazis get up to working nuclear devices. Its one thing to have the plan or basic idea, quite another to get the thing working.

The Also the Nazis didn't need some shitty 0.5 kiloton bunker buster- they needed a game changer. Why wouldn't they have built a city leveler with 15 x 4 the critical mass?
June 24th, 2011  
84RFK

Soviet threats about using chemical warfare (gas) as a retaliation against Germany wouldn't have detered Hitler in any way.
Sure, old Adolf had bad experienses with gas from his WW I frontline service, but Germany was in possesion of the largest and most advanced stock of chemical weapons in the world around that time.

Nazi-nukes is a myth.
June 27th, 2011  
tazjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Soviet threats about using chemical warfare (gas) as a retaliation against Germany wouldn't have detered Hitler in any way.
Sure, old Adolf had bad experienses with gas from his WW I frontline service, but Germany was in possesion of the largest and most advanced stock of chemical weapons in the world around that time.

Nazi-nukes is a myth.
Not according to COMNAVEU London dated 25 January 1946 intelligence report by Captain R.F. Hickey, USN, Report dated 19 August 1945 entitled “Investigations, Research, Developments and Practical Use of the German Atomic Bomb.” NARA/RG 38, Box 9-13 Entry 98c. Top Secret Naval Attache Reports 1944-1947.

This report references a Nazi nuclear test blast in the Baltic in October 1944 and also contains a detailed description of how the Nazi A-bomb worked.

So you people refute previously classified wartime Allied intelligence?
June 27th, 2011  
tazjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
Uhh you need a critical mass for a nuclear explosion. Is 4kg enough? I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty ready to call b******t.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass
Wikipedia tells me no with all present known radioactive isotopes.
from memory they had U-235 back then for american bombs right? So Nazis were probably not more advanced. Well they needed 52 kgs of that then add the tnt to actually shove the critical mass together. Thats a huge ass artillery shell.
I feel like no way did nazis get up to working nuclear devices. Its one thing to have the plan or basic idea, quite another to get the thing working.

The Also the Nazis didn't need some shitty 0.5 kiloton bunker buster- they needed a game changer. Why wouldn't they have built a city leveler with 15 x 4 the critical mass?
Well then you need to study nuclear physics more closely. Quite small amounts of Deuterium and Trittium when compressed at 200 atmospheres and molten temperatures under the influence of conventional hollow charge explosives (to focus the blast) can spark Deuteron beams.

Deuteron beams mimic the effect of critical mass. This was small amounts, as little as 100-200 grams of plutonium or uranium can be induced to propagate nuclear explosions.

How do you think modern brief case nukes and nukes in artillery rounds work?

Who do you think first published this concept in patents?

The Nazis did.
To be precise Nazi scientists Dr Eric Schumann and Dr Walter Trinks patented the method in 1942. As for Heisenberg, the Nazis calculated critical mass in October 1941. Heisenberg was not unaware. he played dumb after the war to disassociate himself from the Nazi A-bomb project. During the war and especially at the Harnack Haus conference of 1942 he was a strong advocate of developing an atomic bomb. His speech notes came to light from former Soviet archives.
June 27th, 2011  
MontyB

I disagree, Werner Heisenberg was unaware as the secret recordings of his discussions showed he had not figured out the calculations to successfully trigger an explosion. Further to this Niels Bohr refutes many of Heisenbergs claims about being anti-Nazi.
June 27th, 2011  
Seehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Nazi-nukes is a myth.
Totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazjet
Not according to COMNAVEU London dated 25 January 1946 intelligence report by Captain R.F. Hickey, USN, Report dated 19 August 1945 entitled “Investigations, Research, Developments and Practical Use of the German Atomic Bomb.” NARA/RG 38, Box 9-13 Entry 98c. Top Secret Naval Attache Reports 1944-1947.

This report references a Nazi nuclear test blast in the Baltic in October 1944 and also contains a detailed description of how the Nazi A-bomb worked.

So you people refute previously classified wartime Allied intelligence?
I am extremely skeptical of this for the following reasons:

If such a document existed, it would be publically available under the FIA. I cannot find even a hint of this document anywhere on the web - including the USN site which would be obliged to make it available. Certainly if this had been true, authors and news organizations would have presented this info in detail over a decade ago. There is no way such info could be considered relevant to national security, and to get something that old protected requires senate review.